X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WilZirkle
    • Aug 2011

Curvy Khans my ambitious Khanspire and Kkancenter build

Marking some space for my upcoming Kahnspire and Kahncenter build.

My old thread about the shape I wanted for my cabinets before I had decided on the speaker I wanted to put in them.
    DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 21:20 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • WilZirkle
    • Aug 2011

Kahncenter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IiKMKpQ.png
Views:	68
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	935744

Name:	OYwBlJu.png
Views:	72
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	935745
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 21:18 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• WilZirkle
      • Aug 2011

Finished with the Kahnspire model this weekend. I've kept the same over all height and baffle width. The area of my cross section is greater than Ryan's original so I had to create a false bottom to keep the volume consistent. My tweeter is at the same height at the original, and the offsets are what I believe Ryan was using, but I evened the mids out from what was in his diagram.

I'm not sure about bracing right now, I think there is enough but every time I look at Joey's build I feel inadequate.

Name:	jnqfXdr.png
Views:	44
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	935746
      Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 21:19 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• WilZirkle
        • Aug 2011

My mid chamber design still in progress but I know you all like pictures so I thought I would share. Its designed to have the same (or really close) volume at Ryan's original.

Name:	DrPqnXT.png
Views:	71
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	935747
        Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 21:19 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• WilZirkle
          • Aug 2011

Not a lot of progress. I've printed out my curve to start cutting the braces but I've gotten on a tangent looking for a disk sander to shape the templates and haven't made any cuts yet. I made a template using the original curve last year sometime and finished shaping it with my drill press and belt sander. I intended to go that route, but I like the sound of a new tool. There are a few bench sanders on craigslist that have a disk and belt combination, then there is this from Ridgid RIDGID-Oscillating-Edge-Belt-Spindle-Sander I like Oscillations...

I have also continued work on my model for the Center, it should be done in the next week or so and I will add it above.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I have to say I'm finding sharp hand planes to be awesome for this kind if work. I'm trying to find one for curves like this... But I've been working with some other laminated ply that is curved and its been awesome.

The result is going to be worth it no matter how you get there.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• WilZirkle
              • Aug 2011

Chris, have you looked at chair scrapers?

Comment

• WilZirkle
                • Aug 2011

Midbass chamber for the KahnCenter. I'm trying to show the layers I'm using on my bent forms, 1/4 Bendy ply, 1/8 masonite, 1/4 Bendy ply, 1/8 masonite to end up with a 3/4 inch final form.

Name:	fsvW6fB.png
Views:	60
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	935748

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

With the curves, you probably don't need it that thick. Panel thickness and bracing is to increase the resonant frequency of the walls - something a curve sorta does inherently, at some level. Never hurts though.

Chair scrapers, nope. I will now though.
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• WilZirkle
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by cjd
                    With the curves, you probably don't need it that thick. Panel thickness and bracing is to increase the resonant frequency of the walls - something a curve sorta does inherently, at some level. Never hurts though.

Chair scrapers, nope. I will now though.
                    Lee Valley has this one http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,310&p=54886

I think they are more commonly call spokeshaves http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/spokeshaves.aspx

When I posted it I was thinking about the scrapers used to make a chair seat.

Wil

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"