X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martyn
    • Feb 2006

European Speaker Kits

Hi, folks.

I have a friend in the UK who would like to build a pair of DIY speakers. However, he has limited access to woodworking facilities (although he might be able to ask his neighbour for help), so the cabinets would be better ready-built or as flat-packs. Obviously, shipping becomes very expensive very quickly, so he needs an EU or UK source. His preference is for a 3-way design with good WAF; he has a budget of around £1,000. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Martyn
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

An elegant, floor-standing loudspeaker using 4 fantastic units from the ScanSpeak range. The 1\

Centurion Silver: SS drivers, Illuminator tweeter, Revelator 5" mid and dual Discoveryline 7" woofers in a tall floorstander for £1100 a pair with a flat pack.

Allegro Gold: SS9700 tweeter, Morel CAW538 mid, Volt BM220.8 woofer. £1120 pair incl flatpacks.

Haven't heard them though...

I see now that the prices are + VAT, but you said "around" £1000. :B

Comment

• Martyn
      • Feb 2006

Thanks, Jonasz.

"Around" is just fine! I think I read some disparaging remarks somewhere about the quality and value of Wilmslow kits, but it might be hard to find anything that hasn't had some kind of criticism. Can anyone comment on the likely performance of these designs?

Comment

• nethien
        • Dec 2012

Hi Martyn, in Germany Acoustic Destign Wohlgemuth (ADW), run by Udo Wohlgemuth is a very wellfamed source for DIY loudspeakers.
        Although in his webshop he lists only the Speaker kits without flatpack, he can now provide flatpacks as well, as he recently acquired a CAD router. There is also at least one carpentry shop in Germany where one can order either the prerouted baffle wall in various materials or even the complete baffle.
        As a very satisfied builder of several of his kits, i can only highly recommend ADW.
        There is even a community where you can find a lot of info (new speaker developments as well as presentation of customerbuilt kits) here:http://www.loudspeakerbuilding.com/Home/8563,en
        His webshop is found here, but mostly in German: http://www.acoustic-design-magazin.d...bigware_29.php
        Btw, the sorcerer on the community´s webpage is not Gandalf, it is Udo the acoustic magician himself

Comment

• Martyn
          • Feb 2006

Thanks, Nethien. My German is very rusty, but I think I can just about figure out what's going on!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"