HI-VI D6.8 and SB 26STAC like a modula MT, ideas?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onestone
    • Aug 2013

HI-VI D6.8 and SB 26STAC like a modula MT, ideas?

Hello everyone!

I would like to build a kind of bookshelf 2way with a HI-VI D6.8 and a SB-acoustic SB 26STAC, both very nice drivers in my opinion. Has anyone an idea or hint on construction size and crossoverwork? Might be something like modulaMT?
  • Onestone
    • Aug 2013

of course floor standing was OK too, developing a crossover is teasing me and I fear not getting the best results cause of few experience. Until now all my speakers run fully active by use of a DCX but I want it with crossover network this time.

I hope, someone can help!!!
    I want to reuse the speaker from my old midhigh-cabinet on the picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	858639
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:23 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Will have to check the tweeter specs and get back to you. There's a different SB acoustics tweeter I'd recommend.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Onestone
        • Aug 2013

I found this: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-Tweeter-Tests

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I just checked the specs- this is a new SB tweeter, which I hadn't seen before. I'm not really all that fond of the so called ring dome SB tweeters- the one I've had a preference for is the SB26STCN which I have a pair on hand, and has a somewhat higher Fs, though still fine for this kind of application with a roughly 1800 Hz crossover in LR3. It's less expensive than the STAC. 30 degree off axis is very good for both tweeters. That's something that's near and dear to me, as well as distortion performance.

Both are 4 ohm tweeters and sensitivity is quite similar, so a network adjusted for one will work for the other. I have data on the D6.8, haven used those in a couple of designs- in fact, the earliest Modula type design was based on the D6.8.

If you can be patient, within the next two weeks I can probably synthesize a crossover design for this combination. I'm upgrading the hard drive in my MBP17 which I do LspCAD and Fuzzmeaure on today, but also have a bunch of urgent work stuff this weekend to complete before Tuesday and an early customer visit, so I'm kind of tied up right now. I'll take a look at the LF alignment and make recommendations for that, too. The crossover should be slightly simpler than the Modula MT, as there is no need for a notch network to deal with the metal cone resonance.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Onestone
            • Aug 2013

oh, that was very fine to get professional help , I am very glad to have found you here. Having the data I would build it. As I have running the SB in
            my old mid high-combination I can say it is very nice sounding. I often prefer it against the AMT on the top (I sometimes change the us). The use of the DCX digital crossover is not the best choice for me cause I am more turning and switching and changing instead of listening.

Comment

• Onestone
              • Aug 2013

JonMarsh wrote, the HI-VI D6.8 already was used in an earlier MODULA MT. Is there somewhere to find the drawing of it? I tried to find something but had no success. In the meantime until knowing about the crossovernetwork I could start building the enclosure. Does anyone know about the preferred sizes?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Preferred size is the same for all variations- this was based on an off the shelf Parts Express Dayton 0.75 cu ft cabinet- if you're in the USA or Europe or some other locations, you could use one of those, or copy it's construction to build your own.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=302-732[

This is the original Modula MT thread for the "prime version" (it was an earlier speaker built for my daughter that used the HiVi D6.8. the latter is more expensive than the RS-180, and not quite as low distortion, particularly in the midrange).

This is a picture of that "early version for my daughter. Not recommended to copy as is.

Name:	EM72Finished.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	944673
                Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:24 Saturday. Reason: Update image location and htguide url
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Onestone
                  • Aug 2013

yes, EUROPE it is....germany

Transport costs will be to high so it should be own construction probably. Why can't you recommend your daughters older construction? The SB-tweeter might be added at lower frequency cause of its low Fres!? Is the position of the offset-tweeter OK that way on your picture?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Well, I was referring to the complete design as implemented back then. With the SB tweeter and a crossover derived from the current Modula MT, things should be nice.

Offset tweeter works well for some placements, sometimes not for others- I tend to recommend symmetrical these days as a result.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

This design rework will be coming up Sunday!
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Onestone
                        • Aug 2013

fantastic, very curious on it thank you very much for all the support!!!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

The nitty gritty....

First, a reminder about the Modula MT thread- all of the original basics and cabinet details can be found there; I'm not going to repost that information- life is too short!

The Cabinet info in PDF form is available from Parts express at this link:

You should be able to build it or something similar from the information in that PDF. You can simplify or modify construction details as you need- that's why it's called DIY. :W

The raw response of the HiVi D6.8 is shown below- measured in the actual cabinet, not infinite baffle. While the HiVi D6.8 has nice T/S parameters for yielding extended bass in a relatively small enclosure, I usually only use this driver in three way configurations because of the issues which occur in the upper midrange.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D68-SPL_zps458f5099.png Views:	0 Size:	159.3 KB ID:	944674

These show up as a big bump in the response around 1 kHz, and a main breakup mode around 3.4 kHz followed by a very steep drop off in response, as shown above. These characteristics require some extra care (i.e., more parts!) in the crossover to get things sorted out.

As I don't have your SB tweeter you're interested in, I used measured data for a Scanspeak tweeter that measures very similarly on an IB setup and with a similar impedance curve and Fs- that's the best I can do under the circumstances, and should be fine for getting this close. In this case, the SS tweeter was measured on this target cabinet.

The resulting design looks like this, modified from the standard Modula MT crossover:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ModMTHiVi-SB_Schem_zpse4d1e1e9.png Views:	0 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	944675

Topologically, the biggest changes are removing the HF breakup notch filter used for the RS180 (in parallel with L4), and adding an LCR notch filter for the 1 kHz bump in the HiVi D6.8 (L5, C7, R7), and adding an LCR zobel conjugate network for the tweeter impedance control (R9, L6, C11), so that the higher Fs of this tweeter doesn't put a bump into the stop band of the tweeter.

The effect of these network compensations are shown in the transfer function plot:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ModMTHiVi-SB_TransferFunction-Plot_zpsa2e04ca6.png Views:	0 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	944676

and the resulting simulated SPL vs frequency response:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ModMTHiVi-SB_SPL-PLOT_zps5623fa2b.png Views:	0 Size:	24.5 KB ID:	944677

Last, for reference, a plot of the simulated impedance curve, which shouldn't be a problem for any reasonable amplifier.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ModMTHiVi-SB_Impedance-PLOT_zps2d22a1b9.png Views:	0 Size:	33.8 KB ID:	944678

Name:	HiVi D68 SPL.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	858663
                          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:28 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Onestone
                            • Aug 2013

oh FANTASTIC !!!! Thank you very very much for all the work. As I still have several of these double flared ports somewhere in my stock I just ask how to measure the length. Is it just included the flared ends?
                            Again all my thanks for so much invest of time and thinking in this kind of combination. Even the trouble of the woofer mids this will be very good end-result. As the D6.8 remember me on the DYNAUDIO I had in my FISCHER&FISCHER stone (shale) made speaker enclosures when I was very young, your development will bring my mind "back to the routes" as the HI-VI optically and with the big diameter vc very close to the earlier DYNAUDIO woofers.
                            GOOD TO KNOW YOU, thx again and have a nice weekend and good starting new week. Greetings from germany!!!!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Onestone
                              oh FANTASTIC !!!! Thank you very very much for all the work. As I still have several of these double flared ports somewhere in my stock I just ask how to measure the length. Is it just included the flared ends?
                              Again all my thanks for so much invest of time and thinking in this kind of combination. Even the trouble of the woofer mids this will be very good end-result. As the D6.8 remember me on the DYNAUDIO I had in my FISCHER&FISCHER stone (shale) made speaker enclosures when I was very young, your development will bring my mind "back to the routes" as the HI-VI optically and with the big diameter vc very close to the earlier DYNAUDIO woofers.
                              GOOD TO KNOW YOU, thx again and have a nice weekend and good starting new week. Greetings from germany!!!!
                              Mit freundlichen gruessen vom California -

7-1/2" can include the flares- there's a limited amount of room to work with in the cabinet!

Yes, of all the nominal Dynaudio clones, the HiVi and the Jantzen are the only ones that measure decently with regards to non-linear distortion...

BTW, my day job is with Infineon Technologies, since 1985 when they were the semiconductor division of Germany. I visit Munchen several times a year on business. What part of Deutscheland are you from?
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Onestone
                                • Aug 2013

I live near Dortmund. Ah Infenion.....a student colleague who made doctor grade is working for that company. I myself made a student pratise time at Infenion (former EUPEC ...AEG SIEMENS joint venture producing IGBT power semi conductor in Warstein-Belecke).!

I hope soon to start with your construction data. Thx again and have a good starting new week!!!

Comment

• Onestone
                                  • Aug 2013

the resistors are all to choose as 10W-type?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Onestone
                                    the resistors are all to choose as 10W-type?
                                    That will work fine. The LCR zobel inductors can have high resistance (but subtract internal resistance from series resistor value) to save money. The main inductors should be AWG 14.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Onestone
                                      • Aug 2013

and a (last) question: the 1.6mH e.g. is no standard. is it best to connect two inductors in series or do you recommend unwinding a bigger one? This moment I have no L-measuring device...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Use two 0.82 in series, or a 1.5 then. Probably better to use the 1.5, as the DCR of two 0.82 will be much higher, as inductance goes up with the square of the turns. Next standard value is too high. I have a coil winder and often construct inductors.
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"