Completed Speaker Designs Sticky - no recent updates???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed H
    • Apr 2011

Completed Speaker Designs Sticky - no recent updates???

Due to extreme budget constraints, I have not researched DIY speaker designs in almost 2 years. Simply put - I did not have the funds, and chose not to torture myself researching something I could not enjoy.

I am curious why the "completed speaker designs" thread has not been updated in several years. Are there no new designs worthy of archiving? Are there too many? Are members feeling the same 'budget constraint' I just endured?

In any case, unless there are newer designs to consider, my plans from 2 years ago will be back ON again in a few months. Large Nat P ported cabinets and the best matching center I can find for 'in entertainment center' use.

It's good to be back. Financial woes suck! :evil:
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

It hasn't been updated for a couple of reasons. First, I can't do it all. If people post a completed design, I'll edit the first post. Second, that thread is intended primarily to be a thread of designs completed by members of this community forum, and not an index of all speaker designs on the web. I created the thread to highlight those designs created HERE by people I consider friends - which are likely to be speakers that I've personally heard or heard others by that designer so that I know putting the speakers I put in that thread are good and can be trusted. I've made a few exceptions, because I can, but I'm not going to put every design on the web in my thread, because frankly I've heard a couple of the designs on PE that people love and was not impressed. I wasn't alone in this assessment. So, that brings us to the last reason, CJD and Jon Marsh just haven't been cracking out the designs lately. Nor has anyone else. They got stuff in the hopper, but just nothing completed and ready for the mass market.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Quite true- there isn't much left to do to finish the Isiris, for example, but this summer has been a total bear between work and other "urgent" things to do, some of this related (such as updating my digital setup, a lot going on there I haven't posted about), but the final crossover builds are in progress but not yet completed. And I really could spend most of this weekend on my day job stuff and still not be caught up with urgent issues...

On top of that, I'm still helping the GF recover from her hip joint implant a few weeks ago, and need to help her get her home ready for the niece and her boyfriend which are showing up for a weeklong stay next Thursday- this was planned BEFORE the early slot opened up for the hip surgery.

And then, there's this shiny Jeff Beck signature Stratocaster I bought on eBay that's nearly untouched, and a near new triple pickup SG Custom that arrived yesterday, that I only spent about 45 minutes with last night before going to bed... plus lots of internal IT updates (new Thunderbolt LaCie 6GB raid array being updated for my master working drive with Macbook Pro and Mac Pro...) there always seems to be a lot on my plate!

If things go as planned, I will complete assembling the new tweeter crossovers (which join the 2nd gen woofer crossovers). For now, they can be tested with the existing midrange crossovers, which will not be changed electrically ( I think) but which will be replaced by a new build designed to be installed in the cabinet, as the 2nd woofer and tweeter builds are....

Life is complicated... slow work takes time!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ed H
        • Apr 2011

Please take no offense to my inquiry. It was a curiosity thing.

I am honored such great designs, and this forum, are available for the DIY community! Cheers and thank you both.

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

Welcome back, Ed. Yep, economic woes suck. Perhaps k misunderstood you - I don't think you're looking for the sticky to include web-wide speaker designs - only those designs done by HTG members - correct? And, as k stated, those talented guys are doing fewer designs these days, because their best efforts resulted in top-notch speakers that will please for years. And, they, like this lurker, have day jobs (mine is as consuming as Jon's). Maybe they will come up with even better designs in the future, but you'll be pleased with what's in the sticky, so go forth and make some sawdust.:T

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

no serious offense was taken. the interweb has a bad habit of making me sound pissed off than I am.
            - Ryan

Comment

• dlneubec
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
              It hasn't been updated for a couple of reasons. First, I can't do it all. If people post a completed design, I'll edit the first post. Second, that thread is intended primarily to be a thread of designs completed by members of this community forum, and not an index of all speaker designs on the web. I created the thread to highlight those designs created HERE by people I consider friends - which are likely to be speakers that I've personally heard or heard others by that designer so that I know putting the speakers I put in that thread are good and can be trusted. I've made a few exceptions, because I can, but I'm not going to put every design on the web in my thread, because frankly I've heard a couple of the designs on PE that people love and was not impressed. I wasn't alone in this assessment. So, that brings us to the last reason, CJD and Jon Marsh just haven't been cracking out the designs lately. Nor has anyone else. They got stuff in the hopper, but just nothing completed and ready for the mass market.
              Really? Some of us have been "cracking out" designs every year and have taken the time to document and post design/build threads, measurements, etc. here. I think I've done at least 9 different completed designs since my HOSS design was kinda included in the Completed Designs thread back in 2008, all but one of which has had a design/build thread posted here, every one of which has been well regarded in the DIY community, all were even award winning at various DIY events. Not enough to be trusted, I guess.
              Dan N.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Oh my gosh! Seriously. Dan. You're designs are fantastic. I've heard them and have commented that how much I enjoy them. You'r designs fall into that I'm busy, I don't see every post, don't have time, need help, etc. There was a long period where I didn't log in at all. Like I said, post the summary and I'll edit the first post to include them.
                - Ryan

Comment

• Ed H
                  • Apr 2011

I was selfishly hoping someone with a CC baffle height restriction like myself (10" max) developed a 2RCC-type design that used the RS180 and Dayton tweeter (like the Nat Ps). :P

If not, I may tackle this one myself - with Xover assistance required... :roll:

Dan,
                  If you would post links to your designs, I would like to see them!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Would you consider something just slightly different? Same physicals and mid woofer, but something more "interesting" in a tweeter, like the SB Acoustics SB26STCN-C000-4? I only mention it because it would allow closer center to center spacing of the mid woofers. Now, you know, there's another issue here for a lay down CT- if you want some off axis dispersion in the upper kids/lower presence region, you'd really be better off making that a MTM using a 2.5 way crossover design- but this makes things a bit more expensive on the woofer side, at minimum, one more fair sized inductor. Are you game? (I've got a pair of these and will be doing tests soon for a new Modula CC. I may even try to use them in a two way with a pair of Exodus Anarchy woofers, though where would I find the time?).

As a test, before deciding, I'd suggest listening to a design like the Natlie P laid down and off axis- moving the woofers closer together helps, but only so much in the 1200-1800 Hz area. Of course, for a normal vertical alignment, it keeps down ceiling and floor reflections in that range...
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ed H
                      • Apr 2011

I might try the 2.5 with the SB Acoustics tweeter. Why not? I actually saw the 2.5 design at the link below and thought it was worthy of further investigation. 2.5 for a center will be beneficial. Wondering if it will be better that the Modula CC?

I was also investigating larger CC speakers (i.e. 2RCC, etc), but I want the center to match the Nat P as close as possible. My 10" max baffle height (prefer 9" so I have room to tilt it upward slightly) greatly restricts my options.

I should start a new thread...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ed H
                        I might try the 2.5 with the SB Acoustics tweeter. Why not? I actually saw the 2.5 design at the link below and thought it was worthy of further investigation. 2.5 for a center will be beneficial. Wondering if it will be better that the Modula CC?

I was also investigating larger CC speakers (i.e. 2RCC, etc), but I want the center to match the Nat P as close as possible. My 10" max baffle height (prefer 9" so I have room to tilt it upward slightly) greatly restricts my options.

I should start a new thread...
                        IMO, a true three way like the Modula CC will be better, but a 2.5way will have better dispersion (though not optimal) compared with a laid down MTM, but the higher crossover point will compromise off axis (compared with a three way) in the same way that it does vertically in a two way.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"