X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bf_brock
    • Jun 2004

Help with downsizing from Khanspire

Currently using the Khanspire design for my main speakers. It's actually been five years since I built them and they've been great. Now I'm looking to downsize as we're planning on moving to a few different cities and moving the Khanspire's around is not the most convenient thing ever. So with that in mind I'm thinking of new mains and matching center channel and a new subwoofer to go along with them (my current sub is pretty . Even a large bookshelf speaker with stand would be much better. There's a million designs out there so hard to figure out where to begin...A design that could utilize some of the Khan's components would be nice. I consider the Khan's to be pretty high-end would like something in their class...Or better. :-) For all speakers I'm looking for excellent music performance and they will also be used in home theater.
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Here's one little bit smaller and uses almost all of your drivers. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...amp-TMWW-Mains There's a center design to go with. For bookshelf size consider http://www.audioheuristics.org/proje...ence_rs225.htm

Comment

• bf_brock
      • Jun 2004

Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually reading Mark's site on that bookshelf speaker earlier today. Now looking at the Nat P as an option. Even in tower form looks much more compact than my current Khan's.

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Nat-Ps are nice. I built a pair for a friend in tower form. While I haven't done a direct comparison, I tend to like 3 ways and the 3 way tower would end up almost a foot shorter than a Nat-P tower since there isn't a woofer above the tweeter.

Max SPL on the 22528 might be limited by crossing so low but empirically I like the bass capability of the 225.

Life's full of compromises. In my SAF world a 5" MT is a big speaker.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

How much smaller? I've done a few designs that might work (as have others, but I'll only speak to mine.)

In a 3-way, the In-Khan might do the trick (there's a version intended for regular placement, not just an in-wall version) in a bookshelf sized box. A bit bigger, but still smaller, might be the Garnacha.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• bf_brock
            • Jun 2004

cjd,

Any of those designs you mentioned would be fine. Even the Garnacha looks quite a bit smaller. I've been debating on doing a 2-way (or 2.5 way) or possibly a 3-way design that doesn't use the RS150. Not that there's anything wrong with the 150 but I feel that if I were to nitpick I think it may be the weaker point of the Khan's to my ears at least. Then again maybe it's my equipment and room that makes me perceive that.

To Bob or anyone else who'd like to comment, what qualities do you notice in a 3-way that tends to sway you that direction over a 2 or 2.5 way design? I haven't really ever sat down and compared them directly but I know I've enjoyed all three types.

Comment

• BobEllis
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

To me, three ways tend to sound more realistic and almost effortless when pushed. I think it's because it allows driver selection to minimize abrupt changes in power response and choosing a mid that will go high enough that the tweeter is not stressed at any level. The RS-150 isn't terribly smooth up near 2K with the beginnings of cone breakup, which may be what you are hearing with it as a mid.

You do need enough listening distance to allow integration, so maybe consider a 2 way with bass bin if you're possibly heading for small spaces. Adds a bit of flexibility.

If you're looking for a mid change, consider a design with a Seas Excel W15CY-001 or Zaph ZA14. I love the W15CY in a small room 2 way or as a mid. The ZA14 looks to be Zaph's clone of it with a bit better cone breakup control. Haven't heard it though.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

This thread breaks my heart. I refuse to participate.

(that and I think CJD has this one covered.)
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

FWIW, the Khanspire and the Garnacha treat the midrange rather differently. But, it's a very picky driver to use as a mid.

Comment

• bf_brock
                    • Jun 2004

cjd,

Other than the obvious single mid driver to the dual in the Khan how is it handled differently in the Garnacha and is the overall sound much different?

Comment

• bf_brock
                      • Jun 2004

Ryan,

I know, I know. The Khan's were my first build other than a sloppy build I did of a car sub 15-16 years ago and they've been great...Wait does that mean I'm officially starting to get old now? I think their size may just end up being a little too much once we move (especially considering they're physically bigger than the gf, not that she really cares either way though).

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by bf_brock
                        cjd,

Other than the obvious single mid driver to the dual in the Khan how is it handled differently in the Garnacha and is the overall sound much different?
                        The Khanspire is a bit more forward - that gets harsh for music when really cranked up, but can be quite helpful for movies, especially at lower volumes. The Garnacha is laid back by comparison but losing none of the precision or detail.

The Garnacha also has notably better phase integration across the board - something it shares with the In-Khan-neato (and the first design I'd done that really pulled together that way for me) - there's something that extra bit special about the way it presents things. I hadn't noted hearing a design that did that till we fired up the In-Khans for the first time. One of my favorites so far. I keep coming back to the monster 3-ways, but they've never been perfect for me in the midrange and miss a little of the magic; on the other hand, they're something special to listen to still, too. Plus, I don't have the Garnacha here - I gave them to my sister.

There are obviously many options out there (though fewer that use at least some of the drivers you have on hand) and many more not yet designed. It depends on the journey you want to take.

C

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"