X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spadez
    • Jan 2010

Metal cabinet for statements

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to build the statements cabinet out of aluminium. It is far easier for me to get access to metal and work with metal, and I think the end result could look pretty cool.

I was also wondering if it would affect the crossover at all, would I be able to keep the same components or would it need to be tweaked in order to stop the speakers sounding "tinny".

Any help, advice or ideas would be much appreciated,

James
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Sure it's possible, but it would not sound good at all. The material you build the box out of needs to be dead to sound, and aluminum is just the opposite. Maybe if you want the look, you could cover it with aluminum on the outside? I can't speak to the effects that would have, though I'm sure someone else could chime in.
    -Chuck

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

I think it could work just fine, some of the finest speakers out there like Magico are made out of metal.

Comment

• spadez
        • Jan 2010

That's the thing, it would be far more rigid than mdf. I could use some good sound dampening on the inside.

Alon Wolf can be mesmerizing. When the founder of Magico gets going on one of his favorite subjects, loudspeaker design, the strength of his convictions, depth of technical knowledge, and sureness of response are enough to hush many a skeptic into silence.

"I built my first aluminum speaker 10 years ago. Aluminum is a far more appropriate material for a box than MDF, which is the worst thing you can use. A box should be both well damped and stiff; MDF is very damped, but it is not very stiff. The box should also have mass. But since MDF is structured of resin and glue, it's not really hard. When you attach a driver to an MDF box, because it's a damped material, the MDF swallows up a lot of the energy the driver is putting out. It stores the energy, which builds up until you hear the box flexing. When you hear a driver in a well-damped aluminum enclosure, you hear things you never heard before, because all the energy is free to come out into the room."

Comment

• Face
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by impala454
          Sure it's possible, but it would not sound good at all. The material you build the box out of needs to be dead to sound, and aluminum is just the opposite. Maybe if you want the look, you could cover it with aluminum on the outside? I can't speak to the effects that would have, though I'm sure someone else could chime in.
          If the Al is thick enough, he'll be more than fine.
          SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I have done a fair amount of machining in my time.
            From old Bridgeports to Mazak 7-axis CNC.
            What grade of aluminum where you planning to use?
            I read the Stereophile review a while ago, does it say what type they use?

Your fastening method will be critical.
            Typically, drill & tap with machine screws.
            It could be quite a tedious task, but not impossible by any means.

Alcoa developed a thermally activated adhesive for automobile unit-body assembly that cured during the paint-bake process.
            Some type of material that could be applied on the joints may be available that would help prevent possible resonances at the joints.
            Depending on the cabinet size, I would be looking at one fastener every two to three inches.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

I guess my initial thought was more so thinking of how most aluminum boxes are made, with very thin aluminum. In that case, the stereophile article is contradicting itself. An MDF box would be way more rigid than an aluminum box at reasonable thicknesses of aluminum. If the OP is talking about building a box out of aluminum at the same thicknesses as a typical MDF box, well that's a whole different story. Good luck with the machine work on that though. Might want to invest in a forklift as well if you're planning to build full sized statements with thick aluminum.

That said, seems like it'd be pretty neat though if it was done well. Reminds me of these: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ite+statements
              -Chuck

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"