X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneoldude
    • Apr 2005

Dead ECM 8000

I have a dead Behringer ECM 8000. Gently pulled the XLR connector out the bottom and found a loose wire inside. It fell off the ECM capsule!

I would love to solder it back on, but I can't get the tip off to get to the capsule.

Has anyone taken the tip off an ECM 8000?

Any ideas?

Heck, it's too pretty to throw away.
    oneoldude :later:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying
  • oneoldude
    • Apr 2005

Problem solved!

The Mic tip is a brass cap that is glued on with that flexi stuff the manufacturers use. I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the tip diameter through two blocks of hardwood separated by a thin sheet of cardboard. This left me with two half channels that would not meet when placed around the tip. I inserted the tip and put the blocks in a vise. When the vice was tightened, it squeezed the half channels around the tip without damaging it. Now securely held by the wood blocks, I slowly twisted and pulled the mic shaft from the tip. Worked like a charm.

Re soldered the wires and fastened the tip back on with a touch of removable medium strength thread lock (Blue).

All is now fine in the Sunshine State.
    oneoldude :later:
    "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
    "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"