X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stian-
    • Oct 2010

Built a pair of Khanspires, one is problematic

Hello all!

Ive just finished a pair of Khanspires, but one of the speakers have a problem, when i turn up the volume to high levels, it starts to make scratchy bang sound, on peak sounds.. Sounds a little like digital clipping, however this is not it. The other speaker works fine at same volume, and i have switched over the channels on the amplifiers, so theres nothing wrong with the source, as the problem is still on same speaker. It sounds to be coming from bass. Im not running them beyond their capabilities of xmax..

What do you think it could be?

Thanks,
    Stian
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Sounds like one of the drivers has a misaligned voice coil or is otherwise damaged. Try disconnecting the drivers one at a time to find the offender.

EDIT: Another possibility is miswiring the crossover. Did you measure after assembly to verify that the crossover is wired correctly?
    Last edited by BobEllis; 11 June 2013, 17:38 Tuesday.

Comment

• john trials
      • Mar 2009

I can almost guarantee that it is grit in the voice coil area of one of the RS woofers. It's a really common problem. I had it on 3 of my brand new RS woofers when I built Statements. I got good results by playing a low tone (~30Hz) with a large excursion, and blowing compressed air around the voice coil (phase plug) area to remove the grit. There is no need to even remove the woofer while doing this.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Some day, maybe Parts Express will seal these drivers in plastic wrap to avoid this problem.
      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Try to isolate which driver is the issue by swapping them around (yes, that's a bit of a pain, but...) or by taking them out of the cabinet and wiring them direct, playing full range. If this doesn't cause the problem in any single driver (be careful doing this with a tweeter and too much low frequency, of course) then...

It is possible you have some wiring snafu or otherwise shorting such that the tweeter is getting low frequency it shouldn't (this is the only driver I've managed to push to excursion, where it POPs quite startingly loud.)

This kind of thing is one of many reasons I almost always listen to the raw drivers before I start on a build. Once I'm familiar with a driver though, I often don't. Any little problem though, I do.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Try to isolate which driver is the issue by swapping them around (yes, that's a bit of a pain, but...) or by taking them out of the cabinet and wiring them direct, playing full range. If this doesn't cause the problem in any single driver (be careful doing this with a tweeter and too much low frequency, of course) then...

It is possible you have some wiring snafu or otherwise shorting such that the tweeter is getting low frequency it shouldn't (this is the only driver I've managed to push to excursion, where it POPs quite startingly loud.)

This kind of thing is one of many reasons I almost always listen to the raw drivers before I start on a build. Once I'm familiar with a driver though, I often don't. Any little problem though, I do.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"