X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greybeard
    • Apr 2013

Lineup F4's and props to the forum

Just a note from a long time lurker on the Lineup thread....

Moved into a new home and needed some small speakers for the office/computer room and remembered the Lineup thread, and had a couple TB-1337's left, and bit of curly maple and peruvian walnut.

Built the filter for the F4 in the thread, and after a few hours of breakin, they sound great for the size.

So this goes out as a thank you for all that posted on that long-ago thread. I'll build some stands for them in the near future, maybe more walnut...

Now I gotta build some new speakers for the family room... ER18MTM's, Zaph's Revelator Towers, or maybe the Kairos? Probably in full walnut.

greybeard
    Loganville, GA
    Attached Files
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Wow. Beautiful build!

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• greybeard
      • Apr 2013

Thanks, C.

It's nice to turn some scrap into a really nice, proven setup. We'll see what I can get approval from SWMBO'd for the two main's. I still have nice wood left, and I really hate MDF.

greybeard

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Great to see those speakers still getting built! Well done. The Tangband W4-1337 is a really special little driver.

Jed

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Well, the Nebbiolo is starting to shape up and looks to be verrry promising from the very early tentative results. I'd love to see them in walnut. I'll be doing cherry - in fact, I have to order the veneer soon! They use a similar 4" T-B as mid, though the bamboo pulp cone not the Ti.

Building larger boxes out of solid wood has its share of challenges though. I hate MDF as well, use birch ply exclusively. You could easily skin ply (traditional veneer thin, or thicker) ...
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• greybeard
            • Apr 2013

Jed,

Those W4-1337's are special as I really love the midrange, and as I said thanks for the work on the design. I built some of the D4's cabinets for a friend, and would have done those if the tweeter were still available, but I don't think I lost much with the full range.

Gotta use those last two TB's in a two or three way tower.

greybeard

Comment

• scardeal
              • Apr 2013

I'm contemplating making a boombox build based on the F4s.

Comment

• greybeard
                • Apr 2013

To C

I haven't checked out the Nebbiolo, but will.

I normally build larger furniture out of solid woods, and these speakers (especially these smaller ones, even the slim towers) are not too bad if we pay attention to normal wood movement, and use standard practices to avoid issues. The resonance issues are real, but extra dampening and bracing can help. Hey, I'll pay some price to avoid the evils of MDF

good luck,
                greybeard

Comment

• AdelaaR
                  • Dec 2010

Sweet

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"