X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneoldude
    • Apr 2005

T amp for loudspeaker measurements?

Has anyone tried a T Amp to make measurements, especially with software that allows calibration of the amp so as to minimize the amp's signature?

I just got a couple of the little buggers and it would be great to move them around rather than my Adcom 555. But I understand the T Amps, internal to their chips, bridge two channels for each of their left and right outputs. That suggests a floating ground and I do not want to fry anything, especially the sound card on my laptop.

Any suggestions or experiences?
    oneoldude :later:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

No go due to the bridging, etc.

A very basic gainclone is great for this - LM3886 on an 18v-0-18v power supply will handle 2ohm pretty well, certainly quite happily at measurement output levels.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• oneoldude
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cjd
      No go due to the bridging, etc.

A very basic gainclone is great for this - LM3886 on an 18v-0-18v power supply will handle 2ohm pretty well, certainly quite happily at measurement output levels.

I thought so, thanks.
      "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
      "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying

Comment

• oneoldude
        • Apr 2005

Ok, so I did some Google and bot this. Spec sheet on the chip suggests it should do just fine.

Thanks for the heads up

Comment

• JonP
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by oneoldude
          Ok, so I did some Google and bot this. Spec sheet on the chip suggests it should do just fine.

Thanks for the heads up
          The T amps, and other switching amps, may have 1/2 the supply voltage on BOTH outputs... Your setup may or may not have issue with that, but I was finding sparks when the sound card ground was connected to one output with my jig... Lucky to not smoke the card or even my MB, but you might not be as lucky...

Looks like that amp board would do (but haven't looked at data sheet yet). IF you don't use the BTL mode. Of course that would give you the same problem of a big DC offset on both outputs, that the switching amps would. Regular mode will not have that problem. Best would be to check with a voltmeter, for no DC voltages at the speaker outs...

Comment

• oneoldude
            • Apr 2005

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"