Any easy to use measurement setup available?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

Any easy to use measurement setup available?

I currently have a dayton mic and a few other things, but I have never been able to get REW to work, and I'm not sure if it's a hardware or a software thing that's the problem. Are there any hardware/software all-in-one bundles that can simplify that simplify things a little (under say $500)?
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I used to use Praxis (still have it), but for a long time have been using Fuzzmeasure. Nothing else touches it in the price range. I also own a CLIO system (hardware + software) and used to own Soundeasy- gave that away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FuzzMeasure.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	935988

Combine it with a Dayton mic (be sure it's working!) in a decent USB or Firewire audio interface with balanced inputs (I like TC Konnekt, but MAudio and others are good), and you can get a combo that meets that need. (I use an ACCO Pacific Instrumentation mic, though). But Fuzzmeaure is Mac...

With any of these programs you'll need to learn a bit of theory behind measurement techniques- including what windowing and gating means, and how window shapes can reduce noise in measurements, etc. Look at JonW's recent thread for a bit of story telling around that topic! He's had some time getting up to speed.

For impedance measurements if you're not technically inclined to make the test fixture and fiddle with that, get the Smith and Larson Audio Woofer tester.

REW should work pretty well, though it has a learning curve. Check using other apps if your mic and preamp is working at all. If I didn't have Fuzzmeaure, I'd either fall back to Praxis or get up to speed with REW.
    Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 21:58 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Omnimic is very easy to use.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

I think that XTZ is the easiest although far from the most comprehensive.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• krips
          • Sep 2007

Thanks for reply. I don't have a mac, but omnimic looks like it'll be good. It's out of stock but I'm on the email list for when it's back in stock.
          Sharp LC-42D64U
          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Omnimic has a dedicated support forum and is as close to a "have no idea what you're doing but it still works" package that I've seen. There are still things to know or you won't get good results if you are doing crossover design with it.

ARTA is very simple (IMO) but isn't as easy as the Omnimic stuff.

The biggest problem: you have to understand (or get lucky) to make a good crossover with any measured results; Of course, good measurements can be shared, so it is possible to get a good crossover with help, and that's no bad thing!

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonW
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Hi krips,

It all depends on what you are after. Measurements can be a real pain, in my (not so bright) experience. My advice is to make life as easy as you can. If you want to get measurements for full-on speaker design, I agree with Jon. I like Fuzzmeasure for the frequency response (i.e., microphone) measurements. And I prefer Woofer Tester for impedance measurements. The only potential downside here is that you will need a Mac for Fuzzmeasure. Good luck.

Edit: Woops. That should be Woofer Tester for impedance, not Fuzzmeasure. It's fixed above.
              Last edited by JonW; 29 May 2013, 11:26 Wednesday.

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

I like Holm Impulse, but I am nowhere near Jon's level. It's freeware! I use witih a calibrated microphone and a M-Audio Firewire 410. http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php

Comment

• Juhazi
                  • May 2008

If your microphone is kaputt, I'd like to recommend the minidsp UMIK-1. Just plug USB connection, no special drivers, no sound card, no power modules and comes with a calibration file and a stand.

I like REW it is very versatile and has a very helpful and informative Help section. ARTA is too technical for me.

I must try some other program than REW because I'd like to make a directivity sonograms from my measurements. REW can measure impedance now too. I have only WinPCs. Recommendations?
                  My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• Face
                    • Mar 2007

Omnimic software can do sonograms. Here is a cardioid lower mid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tfITrDk.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	935989
                    Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 21:58 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
                    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

krips, I'll sell you my Omni-mic V2 system. I bought it last year, but then in December "they" handed me a large division to manage Sourcing for, so there's no way I can get into crossover design until I retire.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"