X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbegland
    • Apr 2005

I have heard the best...

...and I can't have it.

Friday evening we took my system and the studio monitor prototypes over to Starke Lake Studios.

I've been wanting to hear my system in a really large, well controlled room. Wow, was it ever a revelation. Nothing will ever be the same at home now that I know the true potential of what I've created and just how amazing it can sound without the influence of a small room. Starkes room is just over 30ft*60ft with 15ft high ceilings. It looks 'live' but it is rather tight and dry sounding in there. We were there until 4am just listening to track after track, mesmerized by it all. The ambiance, the detail, the sense of space enveloping you was just too much. There was no sense of "sameness" to any recordings. If it was a dry, studio produced track, that's what you got. No additional room sound layered on top. If it was a minimal mic'd, audiophile thing, you were transported to a sonic bubble, a little holographic representation of the event. So now that apparent boundaries anywhere near a speaker seem to blur this effect, I'm moving out of my house and buying a small warehouse and acoustically treating it. Anyone wanna move your system in? I'll have plenty of space!

Sorry for the crap cell phone picts. I forgot the real camera

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0067.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	871152Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0080.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	871153Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0071.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	871154Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	871155.

Greg
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

Well, you can always place them in your back yard, that's a BIG revelation too! :-)

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I bet that was interesting and fun, if a bit frustrating for the obvious reasons! Doubtless a bit similar to what I experienced setting up the new one's at GF's, but then, that's where they're going to live from now on. The right room and open space certainly makes a difference- and in a situation like your experiment here, it sort of converts the system into a quasi near field setup, as your primary sound and early arrivals only have the floor boundary. I had a big living room once in Boulder, which had sliding doors separating two halves, and we just put the speakers inside the edge of the doors, which gave a huge opens space behind them. Worked very well...

Here's what things look like over at GF's- in the early stage last weekend; this weekend we've already been replacing some of the furniture (Salamander Designs SDAV3/7022 under the TV), and have more work to do on setup. But last weekend's was enough to know that acoustically it should work out. ~1.5 meters from rear walls, 2.5 meters from side walls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_IGP0756_zps7ab17df4.jpg Views:	2 Size:	225.3 KB ID:	939931
      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:23 Wednesday.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• gbegland
        • Apr 2005

Lookin' great Jon! Now, about that coffee table. Looks like we need a bonded logic pad for serious listening duty.

Comment

• gbegland
          • Apr 2005

Name:	Starke panorama.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	858321Here's a panoramic shot from another phone:

Comment

• Carl V
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jonasz
            Well, you can always place them in your back yard, that's a BIG revelation too! :-)

I have done this on many occasions while measuring Speakers or Drivers.

It is always a revelation to hear without the room effect.

Which is why the outdoor HT set-up is revelatory. Besides fun.

WOW, for the Studio space...and good luck with the Warehouse.
            There was a guy in Dallas who had huge Custom Edgar horns in a
            defunct old time movie theater....he was a tube amp(211s) guy....
            Plus a huge Horn SUB. Ear to ear grins.

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Very cool. I would love to have that experience. I've thought before that if my wife and i ever move out to the middle of no where with lots of land, i would have build a separate building for my home theater. Maybe a big metal building, half garage workshop and half home theater listening room.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gbegland
                Friday evening we took my system and the studio monitor prototypes over to Starke Lake Studios.

Greg
                Wow!
                What a neat opportunity!
                Not many of us will ever have the chance to hear our 'babies' where there they are at their very best.
                What fun that must have been.
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JRT
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by gbegland
                  ...and I can't have it. Friday evening we took my system and the studio monitor prototypes over to Starke Lake Studios. I've been wanting to hear my system in a really large, well controlled room. Wow, was it ever a revelation. Nothing will ever be the same at home now... So now that apparent boundaries anywhere near a speaker seem to blur this effect, I'm moving out of my house.
                  You don't have to move...

In that, you should know that I have no affiliation with anybody or anything related.
                  Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 19:23 Saturday. Reason: Update video url

Comment

• gbegland
                    • Apr 2005

Thanks for that JRT! I had only read a little bit about this product, so the additional detail offered here is very interesting.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                      • Sep 2000

Space is good.

Name:	Lair 2.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	858366
                      Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 19:22 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"