Finally joined the infinitely baffled cult!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Finally joined the infinitely baffled cult!

After years of dreaming and wishing I finally did something about it. I have a pair of DIY Cable XJ-15s - prototypes that came out a bit high Qts for boxed subwoofer duty at .578 with an Fs of 24.5 Hz. Nice parameters for IB or OB, though. I had planned them to be the bottom of an OB project, but moved to a space that wasn't appropriate for large OB speakers, so they have been sitting in their boxes for a few years.

Another move and I have an open under stair closet that is roughly 100 cubic feet in my 14 x 24 space. I bought a hollow core door and "solidified" it with an inch of MDF. (I know not up to Jon Marsh standards, maybe the next time). Mounted the XJ-15s in it and hooked them up to my DH-500. It's not quite IB, since the space is small enough to raise the Qts up to .65 according to WinISD, but better than any box I could come up with. I replaced a JBL 2245H sub EQ'd to a 24 Hz F3 with a Q=2 high pass filter (1983 Audio magazine project). So with an IB sub with about the same F3, it's interesting to hear the difference between a low Q 12dB/octave roll off and a high Q quasi 5th order cutoff.

So far I have just tweaked the level by ear and it's easy to see what the fuss is about. Now the bass is significantly more distinct with music and LFE sounds more realistic. Now to set the levels by measuring and play with a bit of EQ and see how it goes. In theory I can get 100+ db down to 10 Hz with the pair.

As CJD said in another thread, it's going to be hard to go back to the box if I ever have to. My girlfriend complains about the 8 cubic foot JBL box, but her only reaction to "look how I am getting rid of that box" was "You cut holes in the closet door?"

Project proof picture attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	871151
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Nice!

.65 is a little high Who'se counting? This is where those albums with detail in the bass (this is one reason I really enjoy Bela Fleck for showing off subwoofers) really start to shine. Or rather, let the system shine.

I bet a new door costs less than an 8 cu/ft box!

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• fatmarley
      • May 2011

"You cut holes in the closet door?" Lol

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Yes, Chris, I thought .65 is a bit high, too. One of the nice things about a Linkwitz transform - I can dial that back to .5 and push F3 down into the teens. Funny you mention Bela Fleck, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo was on the "let's see how this works" play list. Love Victor Wooten's style. Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius, too.

Yep, the door was a lot cheaper and faster than building a box.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Nice work, Bob- your solution is another example of what I would call cutting the Gordian knot, by thinking outside the box! Or in this case, making a box in a creative way!
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

I will have to apply some Jon Marsh stiffening to this project. Watching Game of Thrones last night the door did quite a bit of rattling, even without EQ. As did everything else that wasn't nailed down. :twisted:

Comment

• Finleyville
              • Sep 2006

I really wished this forum had a "like" function. I would have liked your post about three times.

I hope that the door doesn't rattle and vibrate when you are playing music.
              BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Thanks, Michael.

It doesn't rattle with music so far, but I have yet to try out the 1812 overture or some pipe organ music. I'm going to put a couple of door stops underneath to wedge the lower panel since it's just being held in place by the doorknob and hinges.

Still haven't broken out the measurement gear yet, but last night's listening makes me think it is a bit hot, maybe 3-4 dB.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Very cool.

Made me think for a second about going to home depot a picking up a door to experiment with. I got a perfectly good crawlspace door behind my chair. ... I'm not sure which the wife would prefer less, my current big box in the front corner or big speakers in the closet door at the back corner.

The door rattling problem makes me remember the old college door prank where we would "penny" some one in. Take a penny and jam it in the door frame and you could put enough pressure on the lock that they couldn't easily get the door to open.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• BobEllis
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

I pennied a few in my day, too.

Comment

• PMazz
                      • May 2001

Some weatherstripping would do the trick.
                      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• BobEllis
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

Thanks Pete.

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

hmm.

weather-stripping is classic Bollywood! well... they never strip all the way down but it's almost the same the way their clothes cling when wet...
                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• PMazz
                            • May 2001

Are you still slow-mo-ing those Indie films? You could go blind doing that!
                            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"