X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justinthorpe
    • Dec 2012

caculating internal cabinet volume when converting to curved sides

Hi

My maths is not that great, and im having trouble working out how to calculate internal volume with curved speaker cabinet sides. I have permission to replace the main speakers, however her one requirement is that they have nice curved sides, not "big ugly boxes"

I have two ways,
    1. Build the boxes as per plans, and add a second curved skin over this.
    2, re calculate internal volume with the new curved sides, which is my preferred option.

Preference would be to keep the height and width same, and make them deeper to make up for the lost volume. The curve would be quite noticeable, rear panel width just enough to put the binding posts on.

Im looking at something around the size of Zaph's Dayton Tower 3.5 etc.

Any assistance and ideas appreciated.

Regards

Justin
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

What do you want the interal baffel width to be?
    What do you want the internal volume to be?
    Do you want a "half-circle" as B&W Nautilus or a flat back plate as many designs seen here has?

I can think of some methods.
    1) draw the inner part of the speaker in sketchup and use sketchup to calculate volume.
    2) a curved speaker can be looked at as several geometrical shapes put together.
    Volume of a sylinder is just area of bottom x height.
    So the volume of your speaker should be possible to calculate as this:
    Vtotal = (Area of a segment of a sircle + Area of a triangle + Area of a rectangle) * Height
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• TEK
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	858224
      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• justinthorpe
        • Dec 2012

Hi Tek

Thanks for the reply. I was looking to keep front of speaker size as per the plans, and same height, and have a narrow flat rear panel, pretty much as you have drawn above.
        I will look at what you have suggested, never used sketchup before.

Regards
        Justin

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

Try some of these:

Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Juhazi
            • May 2008

The volume is not very critical, so you don't have to get exact volume - an educated guess is just fine in this case!
            My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• TEK
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

If you dont need an exact value, you could problably - in my example above - just take
              width (of the front baffel inside) * depth * height
              As the sides are wider in the middel and more narrow in the back, the average would problably be approx ok.
              -TEK

Comment

• fbov
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Juhazi
                The volume is not very critical, so you don't have to get exact volume - an educated guess is just fine in this case!
                +1

While the attached shows port length effects, the message is similar. I like to tune the box low, where F3 is flat. Very little difference in F3 going from 20cm to 30cm port length...

Have fun,
                Frank
                Attached Files

Comment

• Martyn
                  • Feb 2006

I like to do a full-size drawing of the cross-section before I start cutting wood. If you do this on a large piece of squared paper, you can draw the original cross-section and then overlay your proposed shape. If the number of squares lost in the narrow part is about equal to the number gained by fattening the mid-section of making the box deeper, you'll be OK. Even drawing it half-scale would be close enough as long as your shape is accurate. I wouldn't wrap a rectangular box in curved sides - you might pick up some strange resonances.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

I second Tek's suggestion ...... try SketchUp. It's very easy to learn and allows you to make changes on the fly rather than having to re-draw something from scratch, it's also free! I believe the free version will let you calculate area but not volume, unless that has changed since the initial release. That is easily solved though by by downloading free plugins from the community, http://sketchucation.com/forums/view...culator#p14555 is a great place for plugins and help.

I laid out my entire build, having to maintain specific cabinet volumes, with SketchUp, before I cut a single piece of wood. It was well worth the up front time to get problems worked out before wasting material.

Steve
                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      • Jan 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-08-01 17.33.04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	858238Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	858239Click image for larger version

Name:	Template half.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	858240Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Template.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	858241I'm not a sketchup user, and I don't mind having to play around with things too much.

Assuming you don't have any change in height, the internal cross sectional area should be the same in the curved cabinet as the box cabinet. So if you take graph paper that's sized with 1/4" squares, you can draw it out and count up. I think I saw that a 10% variance won't affect the sound too much (though I aimed for as close to the actual area as I could).

Then that cross section becomes the template for your support ribs of your curved cabinet.

Comment

• justinthorpe
                        • Dec 2012

Hi , yep, this is the way I will go, may take a little longer, but should get where I want to.
                        Now all I need to do is decide on a design. What are the speakers in your pics BigguyZ??

Comment

• BigguyZ
                          • Jan 2009

The speakers are Clearwave 4TSEs by Jen Kunz. They were big a few years ago, and I know several people on the forum have built them. He still offers the kits, but it's not actively advertised on his website (he's mostly selling fully built speakers now).

I've been working on these speakers for about 3 years now. Work and other events have gotten in the way... I spent my tax refund on the internals (crossover, drivers, etc), so I finally don't have to worry about Jed not offering them anymore. Now I'm hoping that in the next 8-10 months I can piece enough time together to get the cabinets completed.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"