X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randyc1
    • Dec 2012

UNIBOX "Rs" Parameter ???

What value should the "Rs" parameter ( "External Components") be at when Calculating For a sealed enclosure ???

Trying to learn how to use UNIBOX and calculate Sealed box Vol for a RS180-4 ?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

what's in your crossover? it maybe a zero and it may be some value is needed. it can be used as a tuning trick. Series impedance tweaks driver parameters - the net result as you add it is usually a bigger box.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by randyc1
      What value should the "Rs" parameter ( "External Components") be at when Calculating For a sealed enclosure ???

Trying to learn how to use UNIBOX and calculate Sealed box Vol for a RS180-4 ?
      As a starting point this would be the DCR of a likely value of inductor you will use. This added resistance changes the effective electrical damping, and alters the QTC; should be taken into account in planning box design unless it's a direct drive sub.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• randyc1
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        As a starting point this would be the DCR of a likely value of inductor you will use. This added resistance changes the effective electrical damping, and alters the QTC; should be taken into account in planning box design unless it's a direct drive sub.
        It's for the Monitor Statement that i would like to Seal ( leaving mid tunnel as is )

Jon you had suggested a ideal Sealed Vol to me , just trying to Learn
        How to use Unibox and how u came to that conclusion ?

When learning about Unibox , someone had suggested entering
        0,8 for Rs in unibox ?
        All i know is there is a big difference between entering Rs at 0 ...or 0,8 for suggested Vol ??

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I wouldn't pay too much attention to suggested volume; it's in the ball park for a specific Q alignment (usually maximally flat to Fb), but THAT may not provide optimum results with the intended placement. For a sealed system I look for a Qtc in the range of 0.6; just slightly less than critically damped, but not rolled off so much at Fb as a Q of 0.5. You can set the desired target Q in Unibox, than have it adjust the box size. For sealed statements, once you have a driver model for the parts entered and the configuration (one or two drivers in parallel), then set the desired Qb and stuffing (full) and you'll have your result.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• randyc1
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            I wouldn't pay too much attention to suggested volume; it's in the ball park for a specific Q alignment (usually maximally flat to Fb), but THAT may not provide optimum results with the intended placement. For a sealed system I look for a Qtc in the range of 0.6; just slightly less than critically damped, but not rolled off so much at Fb as a Q of 0.5. You can set the desired target Q in Unibox, than have it adjust the box size. For sealed statements, once you have a driver model for the parts entered and the configuration (one or two drivers in parallel), then set the desired Qb and stuffing (full) and you'll have your result.
            My modeling came no where close to yours because i had set ( Rs ) under "External Components" at 0,8 , but have been since told to put at Zero.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

zero is not likely direct either. as Jon said, use the total series impedance from any inductors in the path. I vaguely recall seeing a laminated core recommended so not likely as high as .8 ohm. I think the Ansonica is .3 ohm, for example, and that is air core.
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• randyc1
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by cjd
                zero is not likely direct either. as Jon said, use the total series impedance from any inductors in the path. I vaguely recall seeing a laminated core recommended so not likely as high as .8 ohm. I think the Ansonica is .3 ohm, for example, and that is air core.
                All i know is the Rs value seems to make quiet a difference
                In Enclosure Vol for a wanted QTC
                For my purpose Rs at 0 gives me a vol of around 20L... Rs at 0,8 gives me around 30L !

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"