X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Shielded vs. non-shielded

I own three Dayton RS WTMW centers as mains. Something very bad has happened and i am forced to replace six RS225's and three RS150's. Can i just drop in unshielded drivers where shielded ones were.....Thank you

KG
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Yes. As long as you're buying the unshield 8 ohm version. It used to be that the shielded were 8 ohm and the unsheilded were 4 ohm. So easy to differentiated. Now they sell both 4 and 8 ohm unsheilded. I'm sure lots of people make the mistake.

Here is the announcement I put in all the Khan threads after the new drivers came out (I can't believe it has been 2 years!):

NOTICE 11/29/10: Parts Express has discontinued the original RS Shielded drivers these were designed for. CJD has done some limited testing of the new unshielded 8 ohm drivers and believes that they are near drop-in replacements in the Khan designs. No alteration of the crossover is believed to be required in the standard sealed condition. Ported alternatives may require slight changes in the box size and tuning. See the Statements for ideas. Also note, the RS28F fabric dome tweeter can also be substituted without crossover modifications. If you have questions, please start a new thread in the main forum.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kgveteran
      • Oct 2005

Thanx K, that makes things easier..... For the record, thats (10) RS225's :0(

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Ouch! I hope that the offending party has been suitably disciplined.

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

What happened? Did you see the magic smoke?
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• kgveteran
            • Oct 2005

Have you ever seen the show "Snapped", nuff said........ Cabinets and XO's were unscathed, i gotta look on the bright side.....

Comment

• BobEllis
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Glad you didn't snap back. Way back when, my Dad threatened to kick in my speakers and the next thing I remember he was retrieving he elbow from the inside of the drywall. Oops!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"