X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kalell
    • Jan 2013

Wanting to build floorstanders with RS225-8 and D27TG-35-06

I am looking to build some tower speakers using the Dayton RS225-8 and Vifa D27TG-35-06. I am looking to possibly do a section with a woofer and tweeter in a sealed area and another section with another of the same woofer below it ported. I had built some the same style about 9 years ago using the classic 8 and they sounded really good and i am wanting to try to duplicate with the reference series. Or would i be better doing them both in a WTW ported and neither in a sealed? Thoughts? Ideas?
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

The only trouble with the RS225 is that it is more of a bass driver and doesn't suit two ways unless crossed very low and steep.

A two woofer setup is absolutely fine and would most likely be configured as a 2.5 way and if done correctly would sound nice.

Perhaps you could look at Mark Ks two way for inspiration.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yeah for a woofer in that category it takes a special tweeter to play down that low.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Another point to consider is that 2.5 ways using different enclosure volumes don't have to use the same driver for the 0.5 and the fuller range woofer- you could match an RS180 or some other wideband driver (like the Vifa NE180w-08 7" which has a very smooth and extended upper midrange and presence region). You could run the Vifa sealed (to limit excursion a bit and increase power handling) and the RS225 ported.

The RS225 requires special crossover techniques and a tweeter with good characteristics down to 1 kHz- the RS 1" tweeters are OK, the SS 6600 Air Circ is a good choice, too, if the budget allows. Crossover will have to be quite steep (an elliptic filter such as I used for the M8ta, or MarkK subsequently used for his two way).

And if you're considering a 2.5 way route, you might want to just try Jim Holt's Finalist three way; the crossover slopes are a little bit shallower than I'd like but it keeps the crossover component cost down. I have that Vifa midrange, too, and had been thinking about a similar three way with it, with the SS Revelator aluminum 8", but I'd go for a crossover more like the NatalieP, with Allpass 3rd order characteristics. That would increase the crossover cost substantially, but then the elliptic crossovers for a two way with the RS225 aren't cheap, either!

A 3rd order all-pass would also permit using my favorite inexpensive tweeter, the Scanspeak Discovery D2608/9130. In the existing Finalist crossover, the tweeter is only down about 12-14 dB at 1000 Hz, though it steepens in roll off below that.

I wonder how those drivers would work in a true Duelund configuration; I should model that in my copious spare time! /SARCASM OFF
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul K.
          • Jul 2008

Speaking from direct experience, my 2-way RS duets use a single RS225-8 with an RS28F tweeter crossed at 1.4 kHz. The floor-stander cabinet is an ML-TL. The crossover was designed by Mark Krawiec, with the whole design based on but an evolution of his 2005 design using the RS225S-8 and RS28A. I'm very pleased with how these sound and perform. The RS duets won first place at last year's MWAF and here's a link to my writeup on them: http://www.midwestaudiofest.com/2012...rs/rs_duet.php
          Paul

Edit: Here's a link to Mark K's writeup on the crossover design for the RS duets: http://www.audioheuristics.org/markk_wp/?p=376
          Paul
          Last edited by Paul K.; 16 January 2013, 20:00 Wednesday.

Comment

• joeybutts
            • Sep 2009

Another vote for doing something similar to Markk's build. I absolutely love his RS225/28A.

Comment

• kalell
              • Jan 2013

I am thinking i might be better off going back to Darren Kuzma design from 2001 with the Dayton classice dc200-8 and Seas tweeter. They were tuned down about 30 Hz so i did not need a sub, and there was pleanty of volume and minimal distortion if any and the complete build was right at $200. I really liked that configuration and prefer 8" drivers. We do watch movies and like to crank the music up at times and they never had an issue keeping up. I had some Jamos with 6 1/2 drivers and just was not happy at all, say the referance series, liked the looks more than the classic and thought i would ask the possibilities. I do like Mark K build and there is great information, just not sure the one 8 will get the lower end i would rather the towers cover.

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

In terms of performance the reference series are a serious step up compared to the classics. The classics are really very basic drivers without any of the more advanced construction techniques used to improve a drivers performance.

You don't have to build the Mark K design into a stand mounter like he did. If you keep the cabinet width the same you can always build them into a ported tower design. This should give you more then enough bass.
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• joeybutts
                  • Sep 2009

I would love to know how Markk's RS225/28A sounds ported.

Comment

• kalell
                    • Jan 2013

OK... so here is my thoughts... and may be way off, but what i am seeing it should be really close. If i try to do Mark K's design but in a tower ported i am coming up with a tower that is 36" tall, 10" wide and 12"deep giving ma a volume of about 1.766 cubic feet. Tuning it at 35Hz i am comming up with a port 3" x 4.75 to 6.5 depending the type. There will be alot of fill in the box from what i am seeing. So is this way off or at least in the ball park?? like to hear your ideas.

Comment

• joeybutts
                      • Sep 2009

I have nothing to add other than this is EXCITINGGGGGGGG.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"