X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unclejunebug
    • Mar 2012

Recommendations for rear surround options

I recently built some Swope MTM's (which I love) as main LR's for my home theater and I was originally planning on building the center and rear surrounds to round out the set. I'm still planning on the center but now, because of how my living room is setup, I'm wondering what the best course of action is for the rear surround speakers. I'm looking for some guidance/advice from anyone willing to lend a hand or idea.

The room is 20' long x 13' wide with 18' ceilings. When the house was built the room was pre-wired for surround sound and on the back wall there are speaker wires about 11' off the ground. Here's a rough sketch of the measurements.

My issue lies mainly with wanting to use the pre-wiring rather than putting some surrounds on stands. Though probably the ideal solution, stands are not an option since I have small children that could easily knock them over, and not to mention, my wife thinks stands are "hideous." :E I've been looking for speaker mounts but I'd need to tilt the speakers roughly 60 degrees to point them down at where my couch is. No mounts I've found allow for that amount of tilt and the rear Swopes, while not giant speakers, seem too heavy to mount like that. I've been debating my options and it seems to me my two best available options are either in-wall speakers or building a much smaller/lighter surround speaker that I could somehow mount at that angle.

As one option I've been looking at these Dayton 5 1/4' in-wall speakers that are great deal for the set. The tweeter can be pivoted (though how much I don't know and the Dayton site didn't mention) but the driver cannot. So while these would be easy to install it doesn't seem like the best stereo image since the drivers would be facing directly towards the opposite wall at about 7' about where the listener's ear.

The second options is that I could build a smaller surround speaker. I'd want to use the same HiVi series for look and sounds consistency as well as the Dayton tweeter that's in the MTM's. There are 3" and 4" HiVi driver options available so it seems doable. The problem here is I'd have to design something myself and I have no experience/software/test equipment/etc... for doing this. And I'd have to end up with something small and light enough to be mounted at an extreme degree while still being able to house a Xover inside the cabinet. I wouldn't mind attempting to design a speaker but it seems both fun and daunting at the same time.

Sorry for that long explanation, but there's my dilemma. Any advice as to what would be the best sounding solution?
  • deewan
    • Feb 2009

My suggestion would be to build the rear surround Swopes, but instead of trying to find a mount to complete the job, redesign the cabinet to help with the angle of attack and perhaps had a little flare to the cabinet.

Take for example doing something like the Legacy rear speaker design. It would be easy to mount of the rear wall, and with the angled front baffle you could point the driver at your listening position.

You do run the small risk of changing the performance of the design when changing the cabinet, but these are rear speakers and IMO not nearly as important to be spot on with the design. Especially considering the location you need them to be. Just make sure you keep the internal cabinet volume close to the original and you are good to go!
    The Old Woods Theater
    My Various Speaker Builds
    Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"