X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blue934
    • Mar 2008

Visaton KE 25 SC design

What OEM designs use the Visaton KE 25 SC? I'd like to listen the this tweeter in action before committing to purchase it.

VISATON,Lautsprecher,loudspeaker,HiFi,ELA,PA,Selbstbau,DIY,Beschallung,Akustik,sound reinforcement,Heimkino,home cinema,High End,Lautsprecherhersteller,loudspeaker manufacturer,Industrielautsprecher,industrial speaker,Deckenlautsprecher,ceiling speaker

Click image for larger version

Name:	ke25sc.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	948460

David
    Last edited by theSven; 21 August 2023, 10:57 Monday. Reason: Update url and image location
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I bought a pair of these to evaluate a few years back from eSpeakers and wasn't too impressed with extension or distortion performance. YMMV, of course!

I don't like to comment negatively about products. Maybe they've improved since then, but I'd recommend the Transducer Labs N26 instead, similar price class. A round plate version of that is coming soon, I've heard.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• blue934
      • Mar 2008

that's interesting to hear Jon. with my 45yr old construction workers ears, extension and top octaves are key to my tweeter enjoyment.
      David

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Well, my 61 year old ears can still appreciate a cleaner tweeter, because lower harmonic distortion also means lower IM distortion. :W And while I can't hear above 18 kHz, I've found that tweeters with high upper resonant peaks are a problem due to IM that folds down in the audible range, resulting from the resonance amplification of distortion products. Basic motor linearity and chamber resonance as well as suspension behavior affects performance in the lower ranges, of course. It's possible to make a very good inexpensive tweeter, like the Seas 27TDFC, but it takes some good engineering- lots of people don't come close to the level we take for granted from Scanspeak and Seas, for example.

Same thing can happen with midrange, drivers- one of the reasons why to me the Accuton C173-6-90 is much cleaner than say, the Accuton C173-6-191. They LOOK the same from the front, but boy they sure do measure and sound different. The Transducer Labs N26 is the least expensive good quality ceramic tweeter I've tested, at about $130 each.

Image not available

It compares quite favorable with the Accuton ceramics, other than it's bigger and heavier because of the conventional magnet system- but it does use a very powerful magnet structure for it's type, in order to keep the sensitivity up.
        Last edited by theSven; 21 August 2023, 11:02 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• neuro
          • Oct 2007

Hmm, at Madisound right now the C173-6-90 is $907, the C173-6-191 is $394. I wonder if there is a difference in manufacturing cost commensurate with the price difference or if the two are only subtly different in construction (hence having almost identical manufacturing cost) and the price difference is mostly due to performance.

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

The 090 has anti-resonant treatments done to the cone, but the biggest difference in expense are the 090's neo magnets.
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• richnen
              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by neuro
              Hmm, at Madisound right now the C173-6-90 is $907, the C173-6-191 is $394. I wonder if there is a difference in manufacturing cost commensurate with the price difference or if the two are only subtly different in construction (hence having almost identical manufacturing cost) and the price difference is mostly due to performance.
              The C173-6-90 uses a Neodymium Magnet which is likely the difference in cost as well performance.
              Seas Idunn
              ZA5.2
              ZA5.3CC
              SB Acoustics 12" sub
              Statement Monitors
              CLD M5B

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

The 090 used a relatively massive (read expensive) neodymium motor BECAUSE it uses an under hung motor assembly which requires a very strong magnetic field because of the length of the gap- the VC is normally completely in the gap, which together with the copper lining reduces the distortion and increases the sensitivity. The effects can be seen in the distortion plots in the driver data sheets, which are not overstated- my own measurements confirm the performance. It also seems that the resonance damping in the cone are more effective at suppressing harmonic amplification, as Face notes, and have been told by an OEM using the 090 that this is also a more expensive process.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• neuro
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks for the insight. Looking too quickly at the thumbnail images I missed the telltale ferrite band on the 191.
                  With the clamping down on rare-earth supply, I wonder if a midrange (between ferrite and neo) option will become popular. I have no idea where Alnico falls on the cost scale. It currently appears to be more rare than neo, but in the past I believe is was the performace option.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

For reference...

Note X axis, frequency, not scaled exactly the same. Distortion axis (Y) is scaled identically.

C173-6-191

Image not available

C173-6-191E Distortion from Accuton Data sheet

Name:	C173-6-191E-HD.png
Views:	2509
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	857932

C173-6-090 Distortion from Accuton data sheet

Name:	C173-6-090-HD.png
Views:	2351
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	857933
                    Last edited by theSven; 21 August 2023, 10:58 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"