Air-tight & removable. Installing drivers. Product suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dstmbgh
    • Oct 2011

Air-tight & removable. Installing drivers. Product suggestions?

How do you install loudspeaker drivers to create an air-tight seal that will last indefinitely and yet still allow the driver to be removed without damage at some later point in time? What products/methods have worked best for you and which would you not use again? The larger, flat profile of a tweeter's flange is of particular concern -- how to provide uniform support so the flange does not distort upon tightening.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I make a built in gasket in the cabinet by smearing a thin film of silicon RTV over the mounting surface, and letting it skin/set up most of the way before seating in a driver to set it flat and smooth.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Winter
      • Nov 2007

I have done the following with success, preventing the tearing of the wood baffle flange area when removing the driver at a later date. Of course a quality gasket also alleviates the problem.

1) Flange recess in baffle has been painted, usually with Rustoleum Satin Black
      2) Wipe a very, very thin coating of vegetable oil to the flange area on the baffle and let set for 1 minute, then lightly wipe off any visible residual oil
      3) Apply silicon sealant and mount driver

I have not attempted an alternative of applying a miniscule amount of talc to the flange area before applying the silicon sealant, but it my be worth a try. Wipe on a small amount with your finger then wipe off with a cloth. Them apply the silicon and the driver.

Comment

• AdelaaR
        • Dec 2010

I used a sort of foam tape meant for sealing windows & doors.
        They also sell specific tape like that for audio use ... a sort of rubber tape.
        Some drivers have it pre-installed.

Comment

• dstmbgh
          • Oct 2011

I have purchased this Speaker Gasketing Tape 1/8" x 3/8" x 50 ft. Roll (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...umber=260-540), but not used it yet. I have read of some having a problem with it sticking up when they later attempt to remove the driver. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

• dstmbgh
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            I make a built in gasket in the cabinet by smearing a thin film of silicon RTV over the mounting surface, and letting it skin/set up most of the way before seating in a driver to set it flat and smooth.
            Jon, is there a particular product you prefer to use? I have read of some using a product for automotive gaskets. Any experience with this?

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

If you use the gasketing tape and are worried about removal, rub a little paste wax on the back of the driver flange.
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"