X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjk002
    • Aug 2006

15" Celestion Close out at PE

After alot of deliberation, I have decided that I'm going to repair my MG12s and am wanting to build dipole bass bins. I've been reading alot about dipole bass and it seems rather confusing. I was thinking about using these 15" drivers from Celestion, two per side, in either an H baffle, or preferably in compact enclosure like this:

Anyone have any thoughts on these drivers for this application? I plan on running them from about 50hz to 250hz.

I have (4) sealed 15" MFWs that I'm using for the low end.

The Celestion's are surely cheap enough, but if they're not a good driver for this application, I'd rather save the $250 and get the more appropriate driver the first time.

Thanks for your help.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Without a link to the specific driver you're looking at (I couldn't find them quickly in the clearance center) it's hard to make a recommendation. Also, the intended SPL is a question. Keep in mind that enclosures like the one you linked to have resonances due to the manifold chamber which peak the response over some region, depending on the physical size- USUALLY in the exact region you're talking about using- that is, above 100-150 Hz. That peaking has energy storage and that means overhang. I wouldn't recommend that.

Last, why 15" drivers? That's pretty large for a dipole in the 50-250 Hz area- if you want true dipole behavior up to 250 Hz (i.e., the dipole peak is above that), you need to limit the baffle size; that's probably going to be a problem with a driver that may be approaching that limit. Have you tried modeling your proposed system in Edge? For at least a conventional dipole panel?

Otherwise you may have a bit of hit and miss experimentation ahead of you, unless you follow someone else's proven design.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's reasonably well suited to dipole.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

Xmax is a little limited for dipole operation though: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-418

I've been looking at these for a ripole: http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro.../GT5-15_JBL_US Under $100 at Amazon...
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• tjk002
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Face
          Xmax is a little limited for dipole operation though: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-418

I've been looking at these for a ripole: http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro.../GT5-15_JBL_US Under $100 at Amazon...
          John & Curt, thanks for the responses. Couldn't ask for more experienced people to respond.

Yep, thats them. Will I need a high Xmax driver if they're going to be crossed 50-60Hz?

Also, if 250Hz is too high, how about 200Hz? I understand the problem with humps with the higher the crossover point. Just thought 250 would be ok.

Some other options I'm considering are the 10" Peerless SLS and the 10" Dayton RS HF. Of course the Dayton is more than twice the price of the Celestion, and exactly twice the price of the Peerless.

Saying that, I don't want to go cheap if the drivers won't work in my intended plans.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"