X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diamondjoequimb
    • Jul 2012

DIY cables

Does any one DIY cables as well? I just finished up my Statement monitors and picked up some used Parasound gear to run them and need to get XLR and speaker cable. Planning on making my own. Just curious if you guys have any preferred methods or parts?
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I have, but don't generally talk about it much here in respects to the forum sponsor and owner.

Comment

• kvardas
      • Dec 2005

How to Construct Audiophile Speaker Cables from Cat5 Network Cable

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

Blue Jeans 10ga cable with either Neutrik Speakon or WBT termination.
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Hdale85
          I have, but don't generally talk about it much here in respects to the forum sponsor and owner.
          noted

Comment

• vlad335
            • Jan 2010

I made a pair of these.

Step by step isntuctions outlining the construction of braided Low-Inductance speaker cables.

First time I ever really heard a difference with speaker cables.

Comment

• DS-21
              • Jun 2005

I like mil-spec wire for speakers, but only because the insulation is generally Teflon and thus thinner than most speaker cables, allowing for a thinner cable for a given copper cross-section. (The insulation does make them more annoying to strip, though.) Also, it's usually tinned (i.e. the individual strands are plated with tin or silver, the only material difference being that it's harder to solder to tin) so it doesn't get ugly discoloration if exposed to air.

For terminations, anything less than a Neutrik Speakon won't do for DIY projects. It's just a vastly superior solution to the "binding post" kludge. I once bought some Chinese Speakon knockoffs, but the mechanism was vastly inferior, with the screw used as the wire-clamp rather than the screw acting on a lever that clamps down on the wire. The real Neutrik ones are cheap enough that there's no reason to buy knockoffs.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                • Dec 2006

Here's what I did for speaker cables, I think this would be comparable to the Kimber Kable 4VS since the aggregate wire size is two 13 awg conductors which is what the 4VS's have. The biggest issue was figuring out out to braid that many wires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0299_resize.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	857883

Name:	DSC_0298_resize.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	857884

Name:	DSC_0300_resize.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	857885
                Last edited by theSven; 25 August 2023, 15:44 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by DS-21
                  I like mil-spec wire for speakers, but only because the insulation is generally Teflon and thus thinner than most speaker cables, allowing for a thinner cable for a given copper cross-section. (The insulation does make them more annoying to strip, though.) Also, it's usually tinned (i.e. the individual strands are plated with tin or silver, the only material difference being that it's harder to solder to tin) so it doesn't get ugly discoloration if exposed to air.

For terminations, anything less than a Neutrik Speakon won't do for DIY projects. It's just a vastly superior solution to the "binding post" kludge. I once bought some Chinese Speakon knockoffs, but the mechanism was vastly inferior, with the screw used as the wire-clamp rather than the screw acting on a lever that clamps down on the wire. The real Neutrik ones are cheap enough that there's no reason to buy knockoffs.
                  I've used Speak-Ons at work and agree. However, I currently have binding posts on my Statement Monitors, so I'll either go bare wire or spade.

I'm thinking either a braided variety or trying a cross connected coax type for speaker. I'm going to try a shielded mic cable for interconnects.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                    • Dec 2010

If by "DIY cables" you mean "cut generic speaker wire to length" ... then yes.
                    If you mean "do all kinds of weird stuff which makes no audible difference" ... then no.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"