X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

SLOB: Nelson Pass's Slot-Loaded Open Baffle system

Whilst the acronym has a certain appeal, I'm also looking for a way to reduce the height of the woofer section in my next OB project without losing output.

Has anyone tried, or does anyone have an opinion on, Nelson Pass's Slot-Loaded OB woofer system?

The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project Article By Nelson Pass, DIY AudioProjects And Articles On Enjoy the Music.com
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Looks similar to a ripole in response, but easier to build and more difficult to place in a room.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I'll be loading the bottom end of my slowly happening dipole unevenly like he outlines, but it'll be a W baffle. I'm not sure how high in frequency something like this remains good sounding but it has me pondering alternatives where I am still undecided driver-wise (between 60hz and 250-400...)
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Paul W
        • Oct 2004

I'm contemplating a Z baffle with the bottom edges of the woofer and magnet on a single horizontal line, top edge of the woofer tilted back. Reduces overall height a few inches.

John K provided interesting comments regarding SLOB on DIYaudio.
        Paul

Comment

• sfdoddsy
          • Sep 2000

I'm also intrigued by the potential for force cancellation. Any thoughts there?
          Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• gainphile
            • Apr 2009

I think a vertically-stacked w-frame would yield the lowest woofer height.

The tradeoff is complexity of construction.
            gainphile.blogspot.com

Comment

• sfdoddsy
              • Sep 2000

Thanks Andi. I'm not a big fan of the complexity of a W-Frame.

The height of the woofers doesn't have to be an absolute minimum for what I'm thinking, just lower than two woofers in an H or V frame.

Force cancellation is real plus so I can directly mount it to the mid section.
              Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• gainphile
                • Apr 2009

Indeed it's really hard to make all pieces squared in W-Frame. Even harder than a simple box! This is because there are pieces in the middle which you can't simply 'route away'..

When I did mine (and this will be the last W-Frame I will build!), I can make 0.5mm precision cuts with circular saw and cutting jig. This was fine, but I reckon a 1mm 'miss' will ruin everything. It took me a week to build a pair.

But when all is done, it's quite amusing to watch furiously pumping woofers... yet no vibrations !!

H-frame gets my vote for simplicity and performance. Half-a day job and you are almost guaranteed to have a square (or square-looking) product
                gainphile.blogspot.com

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by gainphile
                  H-frame gets my vote for simplicity and performance.
                  Mine too . . . although the V-frame that SL introduces in the LX521 is if anything simpler, and lets the box be a little bit shorter, too. The force cancellation of the W-frame is nice, but the cavity resonances force the crossover down further than I like.

Comment

• gainphile
                    • Apr 2009

I was worried about excessive cavity resonance. But that turned out not to be the case.

Here they are even at 120hz!

gainphile.blogspot.com

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by gainphile
                      I was worried about excessive cavity resonance. But that turned out not to be the case.
                      It's there . . . but I agree that it's hard to get very exercised about it given the relatively low magnitude. I expect it would get lost in "room effects". It leaves me at a loss to understand why SL lowered the W/M crossover for ORION 3.4/4 . . . the disadvantages would seem to outweigh any benefit . . .

Have you taken similar measurements of a "H" frame (where the cavity resonance should be significantly higher in frequency, and even less an issue)?

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"