Design Build Suggestion...Mark K's ER18DXT vs ZD5 or Others?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avddreamr
    • Aug 2005

Design Build Suggestion...Mark K's ER18DXT vs ZD5 or Others?

I'm not sure which build to advice, and this site has served as a great resource.

These are for a home office/guest room/HT. Yes it's one room.

The plan is for either design, is to create bass-bins with a single 10" sub in lieu of a stand, the sub will be what ever works in the space provided and the budget allotted. Either l26 Roys, or Dayton References.

Eventually there will be a 15" sub taking over everything below 40hz.

I'm not glued to either design, however I feel a smaller speaker is dictated by the needs of the room.

Attempting to adhere to the equilateral triangle of placement, it creates the following conditions.

The front baffle of the chosen design can be about 24" from the front wall, and at least 1.5 feet from the side walls if not further.
    The speakers center lines can be positioned about 76" apart (assuming the speaker is not wider than 12"), and each speakers center-line along the front baffle will be approximately 76" from the listening position. The listening position is about 90" from the rear wall, and as such 66" from the plane that's created by the speakers front baffles that are positioned 24" from said wall.

Since the listening distance is relative close approximately 1.9m, I thought it would isolate me to recommending these sort of designs.

Or should I be looking at the Statement Monitors, Finalists, or even some other design?

Primary use will be music (70%), HT/TV(30%).
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

You might want to consider these:
    chameleons

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0062.webp
Views:	32
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	943873

They offer a lot of flexibility for different room configurations and placement due to the waveguided tweeter and the flexport design which allows you to go from sealed to ported with the ability to tune the box from about 42hz to 55hz on the fly to your taste and to fit the room of application (with sub or without).

In a small room and within a couple feet of the wall, they have an amazing amount of bass for such a small midwoofer and will play very loud. They are pretty small at about 7"Wx13"Hx10"D, which also further extends their flexibility.
    Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 22:32 Monday. Reason: Update image location
    Dan N.

Comment

• avddreamr
      • Aug 2005

They look wonderful, but it looks like the wood work is well beyond my skill.
      And i'm guessing the trapezoid arrangement works in conjunction with the wave guide to minimize detraction.

Incredibly sick design, when I think i'm ready to to tackle that level of woodworking, I will definitely build them, I could always use another set of speakers in the house, maybe for the bedroom. Thank you for bringing it up to my attention.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"