X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Force cancelling OB woofers

Just wondering what people's opinions of these open baffle woofers are.

The pic isn't great, but the woofers are a pair of 15" drivers mounted back to back in a naked baffle.

There's a better shot here:

RMAF 2008, second row, third shot.

What would the sonic result of such an arrangement be? And would it be likely to result in force cancellation like regular horizontally opposed subs such as the Epik Legend?

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Rudolf
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
    What would the sonic result of such an arrangement be? And would it be likely to result in force cancellation like regular horizontally opposed subs such as the Epik Legend?
    If both woofers are wired to move in phase, it is silly.
    If both woofers are wired to move 180° out of phase, it is a linear quadrupole
    That is a sort of bipolar speaker with a figure-8 radiation pattern (in the farfield) and force cancellation.
    Rudolf
    dipolplus.de

Comment

• AJINFLA
      • Mar 2005

Looks cool, but not so great for bass http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24687
      Of course looks trumps sound any and every day. :W

cheers,

AJ
      Manufacturer

Comment

• sfdoddsy
        • Sep 2000

They do look cool. If the force cancellation was sufficient I was pondering something like that as the base (and bass) for a one piece version of SL's new LX521 or similar, using perspex.

I actually owned a pair of Celestion System 6000 subs many years ago that used the same principle. I used them with Martin-Logan CLS. Very nice bass, just not much of it.
        Attached Files
        Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• AJINFLA
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
          They do look cool. If the force cancellation was sufficient I was pondering something like that as the base (and bass) for a one piece version of SL's new LX521 or similar, using perspex.

I actually owned a pair of Celestion System 6000 subs many years ago that used the same principle. I used them with Martin-Logan CLS. Very nice bass, just not much of it.
          Those were compound...so no force cancellation. Can't have yer cake and eat it too.
          Manufacturer

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

May as well go Ripole...
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Manning
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by AJINFLA
              Looks cool, but not so great for bass http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24687
              Of course looks trumps sound any and every day. :W

cheers,

AJ
              I'm taking that as sarcasm. Even if you don't build the best looking speakers in the world, if they sound the best, they are the best. You know those throws that vendors sell on the sides of roads from time to time? With pictures of wolves, the mountains or the rebel flags? Buy a couple and throw them on your "ugly" speakers. They give the room more flavor and doesn't distract from the sound.

This advice coming from an old hippie of course. :

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"