X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djsixbillion
    • Aug 2007

Dayton 15 - Easy Sub Build?

Being homebound for the next month or so with an injury has me thinking of doing something with a spare Dayton RSS390HF sub that I've had sitting around for a while. From the specs, it seems like these drivers really like a large ported enclosure, but being unable to really do much woodworking at the moment, I'm wondering how it would do sealed in one of the Parts Express pre-fab boxes, either 2 or 3 cu. ft. Anyone have experience with a setup like this?

For power, I've also got one of the PE 240W plate amps that I'd like to use. I know that sort of power won't drive the sub to reference SPL, but that's not really what I'm after. Mainly just low frequency augmentation for HT use at moderate volumes. I don't generally use a sub for 2-channel listening as my mains (DIY based on the Zaph waveguide TMM's) have very good extension.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

For that application, the HO is really the one you want. You CAN put it in that size box, and use some EQ, but it's your call as to whether you'll find it satisfactory. Go with the 3 cu ft, nothing smaller. Does your PE plate amp have ability to implement a Linkwitz transform? If not, you might look for an add on box in the signal path that does. Otherwise, you're adding a woofer, not a subwoofer. If you have the change lying around, get an HO to put in that box, and save the HF for when you can do an enclosure.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• djsixbillion
      • Aug 2007

Thanks for the feedback Jon, that's kind of what I was thinking but didn't want to accept! Think I'll save a few extra pennies for the HO sub.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"