X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FoxSnake
    • Sep 2012

ARTA (voltage probe) help needed

Well, I’ve been told this is the place to post beginner type questions so here goes. Can anyone please explain how to make and connect the ARTA voltage probe? Where does it connect to on both ends.
    Thank you

BAFFLED
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

All of this is showing only the signal (+) and leaving out ground (-) except where the resistor shunts to ground.

The left channel output from your source goes to an amplifier. The (+) out is split; it goes to the speaker being measured, and to a resistor, which feeds back to the right input of your soundcard. After this resistor is another resistor to ground.

That help?
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• FoxSnake
      • Sep 2012

Thank you cjd. It does help. Except I still don't understand the second resistor and shunting to ground. It's that second resistor and ground that's tripping up this novice. Perhaps one of my teachers at school can explain it to me.

I'm trying to learn to measure drivers with ARTA...but if I can't even understand the set-up I'm in big trouble :stupid:
      BAFFLED

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

That's a voltage divider. It steps the speaker level signal back down to line level.

I'm not sure more specifically what you're trying to understand about it, but perhaps some time with google and "voltage divider" will help?
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Unclejunebug
          • Mar 2012

I just took a quick look at the ARTA user manual, isn't ARTA just software and not the voltage probe? From what I gathered the voltage probe they're suggesting you use is something you'd have to create. Think of it as dropping Figure 1.3 into Figure 1.2 as so...

Comment

• FoxSnake
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Unclejunebug
            I just took a quick look at the ARTA user manual, isn't ARTA just software and not the voltage probe? From what I gathered the voltage probe they're suggesting you use is something you'd have to create. Think of it as dropping Figure 1.3 into Figure 1.2 as so...
            Correct. ARTA is only software. The voltage probe you must make and connect.
            From your diagram it looks like R2 is connected to both right input AND left input (along with the pre-amps line-in.) Is this right? If so, this is what I was looking for. I understood the physical make-up of the probe all the way to R2....it was there that I got lost.
            Thank you.
            BAFFLED

Comment

• Unclejunebug
              • Mar 2012

No, one side of R2 connects to the Right Input and the other side connects to ground.

Comment

• FoxSnake
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Unclejunebug
                No, one side of R2 connects to the Right Input and the other side connects to ground.
                Ok...thank you
                BAFFLED

Comment

• Davey
                  • Jan 2003

You don't necessarily need a voltage probe. You can grab the "reference" directly from the soundcard output vice on the output side of the power amplifier. This scheme doesn't include power amplifier frequency response in your reference channel measurement, but that's usually not a problem since its response will be flat.

Use the setup in Figure 1.4 vice 1.5 in the ARTA manual.

Cheers,

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"