X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

tiebond cure time under shellac

im wanting to shellac
    coat the interior of my cabinet. it got finished gluing(sp?) just yesterday. can i shellac today and expect the glue
    to cure eventually or should i wait?
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

You can shellac today. What are you building?

Comment

• Coconutout
      • Oct 2006

new cabinet for my statement monitors. soon to be transmission line, and a
      gift to my dad

Comment

• Coconutout
        • Oct 2006

so i used shellac flakes dissolved 70% alcohol and left it to dry outside for 3 days, and the alcohol smell still lingers albeit only slightly. i left one piece to dry out in the hallway last night and it was filled with the alcohol smell in the morning. lol. how long will it take for the alcohol to completely evaporate?

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

It depends.... How much did you drink?

I'm surprised you can still smell it. Maybe a fan to move some air will help.
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Hank
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2002

Hank's universal cure for all ailments: tequila.

Comment

• Coconutout
              • Oct 2006

so this is normal? the alcohol evaporates gradually? my guess for that is since the outer layer of shellac dries faster, it traps the alcohol underneath, and since the outer layer is now an (almost) impermeable shell, it will take a quite a long time for it to completely dry...

i don't drink at all, since i have a lifetime's worth back in college

Comment

• fbov
                • Jun 2008

Glue usually says "full strength after 24 hours" so I don't see an issue there. For my nose, the alcohol smell is gone in minutes... and you did you mix your own...

Don't see how you trap alcohol under shellac, as the solvent for a coating will permeate through just fine. I'll do a dozen coats in an evening, especially in build-up phase, although I let it harden a few days before dry sanding, but I'd wet sand the next day.

Have fun,
                Frank

Comment

• Coconutout
                  • Oct 2006

thanks frank. maybe im using wrong alcohol? its drugstore bought ethanol 80%

Comment

• sawdust
                    • May 2009

I think you want denatured alcohol from the hardware store... and by no means is it drinkable!

Comment

• fbov
                      • Jun 2008

Oh, my... yes, you want denatured alcohol. That 80% stuff is alomst 20% water... alcohol is hydroscopic, so even hardware store stuff will absorb moisture from the air if you leave it out. I have no idea what you've got as I bought my initial alcohol where I got the shellac flakes.

So, yes, give it a lot of time to dry.

HAve fun,
                      Frank

Comment

• diamondjoequimb
                        • Jul 2012

Also, if you are not keen on the poisons in denatured, to make it non-consumable and all, you can use Everclear Grain Alcohol as well. That is what I'm using for my French polish finish on my Statement Monitors and it works really well w/ the shellac. It's a few bucks more, but I like the idea of my finish being edible! HA!

Comment

• Coconutout
                          • Oct 2006

im in korea right now and no everclear here...

they do have bacardi 151 tho

Comment

• Coconutout
                            • Oct 2006

i stuck them in the bathroom all day with a dehumidifier and the smell is finally gone. pew, what a work! so water was acting as a retarder, i suppose?

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"