Neodymium vs shielded: better, worse or the same next to CRT?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dstmbgh
    • Oct 2011

Neodymium vs shielded: better, worse or the same next to CRT?

I'll be building a bass bin that will go directly under a CRT tv -- an old RCA console with an oak swivel base. I'm planning to use two Dayton Audio RS180S-8 woofers, which are "shielded." Can woofers (or a woofer) with neodymium magnets be used instead with equivalent results regarding not causing interference with the CRT?
  • dstmbgh
    • Oct 2011

What's CRT, someone asked on the PE Forum

Cathode Ray Tube: a now antiquated technology for television and computer monitor screens long ago replaced by LCD and Plasma screens

Obviously, one that doesn't know what a CRT is also won't know the answer to my inquiry. (smile)

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I guess Wolf's answer wasn't clear?

Yes. As far as shielding goes.

As far as being drop-ins for any design with the RS180S-8, ... not so much?
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• fbov
        • Jun 2008

I suggested to the OP on Friday, in a different thread, that his shielded subwoofer project could use a neodymium sub, as well as what is effectively the bottom end of my NatP MTM (65L tuned to 32Hz). He's just checking facts, which I applaud especially when they come from me.

Plus, he's been building speakers longer than any of us, I suspect... long enough to take 25 years off!

HAve fun,
        Frank

Comment

• dstmbgh
          • Oct 2011

Thanks, fellows. That's right...I'm not questioning anyone's credibility, but just seeking further clarification. Informing me that neo's are "inherently shielded" doesn't tell me if they're better, worse, or equivalent to a shielded ferrite magnet when situated immediately next to a CRT. I sure don't want to build my bass bin with the RS180S-8's, place it immediately under my CRT, only to discover that, in spite of being shielded, I'm still getting some interference issues -- issues that I would have been less likely to have with a neo because of their superiority when it comes to stray fields.

I'd pay a few extra bucks for a neo if there was a basis for greater confidence regarding a lack of problems with stray fields.

Just so you all know, I'm interpreting the statement from fbov and Wolf -- neo's are inherently shielded -- and, to the question "better, worse, or the same?", cjd's answer -- yes -- ...I'm interpreting this as... they're equivalent and neither one should give me problems with my CRT.

If anyone has reason to believe otherwise please let me know, or, if not, I'm ready to start making sawdust and use the RS180S-8's in fbov's alignment.

Thanks so much for all your help.

David

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I think it comes down to the specific driver and the specific CRT for there to be clear differences. I've seen people set a CRT on top of a center directly, and I've seen people unable to do so despite shielded driver use.

On average, I believe a Neo driver may be more consistently shielded than some cheap options with ferrite, but the RS180S-8 is, to the best of my knowledge, pretty well shielded.

Sadly, I don't know anyone that's actually verified that.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• dstmbgh
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by cjd
              I think it comes down to the specific driver and the specific CRT for there to be clear differences. I've seen people set a CRT on top of a center directly, and I've seen people unable to do so despite shielded driver use.

On average, I believe a Neo driver may be more consistently shielded than some cheap options with ferrite, but the RS180S-8 is, to the best of my knowledge, pretty well shielded.

Sadly, I don't know anyone that's actually verified that.

C
              This is helpful clarification. Thank you, C.

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons some neo motors aren't inherently shielded at all, so don't assume that a driver is if it doesn't say so in the datasheet.
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• dstmbgh
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 5th element
                  Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons some neo motors aren't inherently shielded at all, so don't assume that a driver is if it doesn't say so in the datasheet.
                  Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me (us).

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"