X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ModMark
    • Sep 2011

Stupid Question of the day, damping material

When calculating the internal volume of a cabinet, should you include the damping material attached to the side and back walls ie: if the damping material is 1/2" thick, add 1" to the width and height , 1/2" to the depth?

Second request, does anyone have the link to the thread which discusses the various material I can use?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

No and no.

Only partly helpful I know.

I like the multi-layer stuff PE sells if I'm worried about panel resonance and bounce. Rigid fiberglass works really well but I hate working with it.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ModMark
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cjd
      No and no.

Rigid fiberglass works really well but I hate working with it.

C
      fiberglass would stiffen the cabinet but would is prevent a standing wave from forming inside the box (I hope i said that right)?

Damping material attached to the fiberglass seem like a good solution but same as you, i hate working with resins.

thanks for the reply....

Comment

• fbov
        • Jun 2008

Careful... fiberglass can be in the form of mats and resin (structural), or panels of bonded fibers (acoutical). The latter doesn't stiffen the cabinet, the former doesn't absorb sound.

No, you don't subtract the volume of any air-permeable material like open cell foam or rigid fiberglass panels like cjd mentioned (Do a search for "OC703."). You do subtract anything that's not air permeable, like ports, closed cell foam, surface structural treatments (i.e. CLD or damping mats), etc.

Now let's talk separately about DAMPING, as applied to panel vibration, and DAMPING as applied to acoustic vibrations.

An OC 703 panels placed on the inner sides of a speaker cabinet have no structural contribution. The will, however, absorb large amounts of acoustic energy.

A ceramic tile glued to the inner side of a speaker cabinet with a visco-elastic adhesive will greatly affect the resonant behavior of that panel, but it will absorb no acoustic energy inside the box, perhaps increasing internal energy as it's blocked leagage into the box structure.

Any air-permeable material will absorb sound, with effectiveness increasing with density and thickness (OC701 < 703 < 705 for sound absorption, based on density). You can do a search for "acoustic properties" and find a lot of tables of data. I use carpet underlayment foam because I'm cheap and it works. I also found this link, which delves into the physics of absorption - a very interesting read; thanks for asking.
        We're sorry, the page you're looking for cannot be found. You may have clicked a bad link or mistyped a url. Try one of the links below:

Have fun,
        Frank

Comment

• Xander
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by fbov
          I also found this link, which delves into the physics of absorption - a very interesting read; thanks for asking.
          We're sorry, the page you're looking for cannot be found. You may have clicked a bad link or mistyped a url. Try one of the links below:

Have fun,
          Frank
          I haven't been around this forum as much lately, as I have had too many distractions from speaker building. But just today I saw so many of your posts that are extremely helpful with lots of great information. Thanks for the link! :T

Comment

• fbov
            • Jun 2008

Why, thank you! A lot of it's just repeating what I learned here... glad it helped!

HAve fun,
            Frank

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"