X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crytklmass
    • Dec 2008

Klispsh or B&W theater clone?

I would like to build a clone of either the Klipsch Ultra 2 or B&W CT 7.3. I can buy the klipsch 6.5 cerematallic drivers but not sure which HORN to use. As far as B&W CT 7.5 I assume I can use pretty much any 2 8" woofers, 6" mid, and 1" tweeter. The box design should be simple (its just a square box) lol.. My biggest enemy is the crossover. Can I buy a crossover already made? or will have to design and build my own? I have never built a crossover and although im sure there are tons of websites Im worried I may still screw it up. If I seen it built from scratch (youtube video) or similar I would have great confidence.

Any help would be appreciated.. Which is easier or better to build? The Klispch or B&W..... I cant justify $1500.00 per speaker when im sure it can be DIYed for less than $500.00.

Am I wrong?
    BOB
  • AdelaaR
    • Dec 2010

I'm afraid that what you imply isn't as easy as you describe it.
    You can "use pretty much any" drivers in combination with "a crossover already made", but chances are huge that it'll sound (much) worse than just going to a store and buying a pair of semi-cheap speakers.
    You can also, as you say, "design and build you own" crossover, but realise that designing a good crossover is -even amongst seasoned speaker DIY'ers- considered an art and even a sort of black magic.
    You can't just simply "clone" those speakers, unless you build them exactly as they are, with exactly the same drivers in exactly the same allignment in exactly the same box with exactly the same crossover.
    There are a few threads on this forum about "why build a proven design?" ... look them up and I'm sure you'll start to understand just how incredibly complicated a good speaker can be.

Comment

• Silver1omo
      • Sep 2010

As AdelaaR said, if you have never done a XO it is better to go with a proven design.
      In this thread there are people willing to clone the Klipsch:
      Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

So you may wait and see the results or go with a proven design.
      Ivan.
      My Statement monitors

Comment

• crytklmass
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Silver1omo
        As AdelaaR said, if you have never done a XO it is better to go with a proven design.
        In this thread there are people willing to clone the Klipsch:
        Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

So you may wait and see the results or go with a proven design.

Your both correct. I didnt even think of that, just willing to jump in. are there any proven designs you would recommend? Im looking for something similar to that design. something I can mount on a wall, behind a perf screen or using stands. 90% HT, 10% it wil be in a basement theater room I just couldnt see spending $4500 just for 3 speakers. ouch! room size is roughly 14ft wide, 18ft deep, 8 feet high. (not sure if you need those specs) and and currently ALL brick with 2in foam insulation. putting up a cedar wall next.
        thanks for your help and comments, I dont want to waste time and money.

P.S. I was originally going to build the statements but im afraid Ill screw up the crossover. I would be more confident if I seen a nice pic of it built after and not just the schematic. Im a visual and hands on learner
        BOB

Comment

• AdelaaR
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by crytklmass
          I dont want to waste time and money.

P.S. I was originally going to build the statements but im afraid Ill screw up the crossover. I would be more confident if I seen a nice pic of it built after and not just the schematic. Im a visual and hands on learner
          Time IS money
          You have to choice to waste one of 'em ... but rest assured that properly building a nice set of quality speakers takes a helluva lotta time!
          Mine aren't even completely done ... but I believe that the road is more important than the goal.

If you want to see some pictures of crossovers you came to the right place.
          There are a whole bunch of build threads, many of them Statements and many others with detailed cabinet build and crossover assembly pictures.

Have a look at my build thread here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=37768
          There are a couple of detailed crossover pictures included.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

I am confused on the desire to see a picture of the cross over. The same cross over could be put together a 1000 different ways. If building off the schematic alone is a problem, you may want to reconsider your build.

Not to be a downer, but a successful project starts with good planning.
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Silver1omo
              • Sep 2010

Check this thread:

Also if you are afraid to screw the XO, you can go with:
              We are doing some work on our site. Please come back later. We'll be up and running in no time.

and pay the extra $77 for the XO assembly.
              Ivan.
              My Statement monitors

Comment

• crytklmass
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Silver1omo
                Check this thread:

Also if you are afraid to screw the XO, you can go with:
                We are doing some work on our site. Please come back later. We'll be up and running in no time.

and pay the extra $77 for the XO assembly.
                Thanks for that link. Maybe this doesnt make sense but I wanted to see the pics to better understand if the individual pieces were just twisted together or all soldered togeher etc. I understand the layouts can be different. I was more interested in how they are connected together. I can certainly look at a schematic, buy the parts, lay them out and even glue them down but I wasnt exactly sure of which "ends"get soldered or terminated to what. then which "ends" connect to the + and - speaker, terminal connections etc. Seeing a pic helps my brain digest what im reading. Basically, if I can see it I can copy it. does that make sense? it would be like you buying a bunch of computer parts for the 1st time and dropping them on the table, then trying to custom build a computer. Ya, the parts are there but what plugs in where and why? I like to know the "why".. why this way and not that way sort of analytical thinking. Thanks again for the the link, do you think a first timer like me can build the statement monitor and statement center and/or jump into the mini statements (I assume they all use the same speaker components, (I havnt read in detail) OR as a nube should I build the TriTrix first? I really want my end result to work great in a home theater. Something that has a large soundstage, great depth and detail. I may be expecting too much and dont want to be disappointed.
                p.s. Im retired so all I have is time
                BOB

Comment

• crytklmass
                  • Dec 2008

looks like I'll give the statements a try. Lots of people have many posts about them and if I run into trouble I can hopefully get help.. so not that I have a decision.. time for part 2. This will be for 90% theater and 10% music although I may build a pair of bookshelves for 2 channel. Is there a big sound diff. between the full size statements and mini statements? in other words, enough of a diff. to justify an extra $300 or so plus the extra time to build? or the the minis just fine. I would prefer a full range sound with great depth and detail. A speaker that fills the room and sounds like your right there. (guess what everyone wants..lol) room size will be 14ft wide, 18ft long, 8ft high. All brick, I have a B&W 855 15" sub. 5ch to 7ch system when Im all done. Ill post pics as I move along and im sure ill have more questions. thanks again..

I have considered a transmission line cabinet. like the tri trix MTM. Would this be an easier or better choice for a first time build? then once I get experience build the statements. I did find this link http://meniscusaudio.com/er18mtm-domepr-p-1322.html from the above post. . I assume the cabinet is basically the same as the PE Tri Trix MTM. http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...AT&srchCat=769
                  Would the crossover be easier to build (fewer parts) or doesnt it matter? sorry for all the questions, I just dont want to make the wrong choice or get in over my head.
                  BOB

Comment

• Silver1omo
                    • Sep 2010

Well, my first build were the statement monitors, it took me a lot of time and mistakes. But I managed to do it.
                    If you have time, tools and patience I don't see why you can't build the statements.
                    Ivan.
                    My Statement monitors

Comment

• AdelaaR
                      • Dec 2010

My first ever build was 4 F4's to act as the surrounds.
                      I then continued to make the Statement CC and then the towers themselves.
                      Soldering isn't that hard, you know. If it's your first time soldering, I would advise to try it on some random pieces of metal before starting on the actual crossover components, because those can get damaged when heated too much for too long.
                      Just read a lot of build threads by others and you should pick up enough tips to succesfully build anything you want.

Comment

• Hank
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2002

Twisting or soldering. I advise you to buy the Miniscus Statement kit with pre-built crossovers. You'll have the satisfaction of building and finishing the cabinets.

Comment

• BobEllis
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by crytklmass
                          ... something I can mount on a wall, behind a perf screen or using stands...
                          It's not clear that you realize it, but "mount on a wall" is not an option for Statements. "Behind a perf screen" isn't much better unless you are willing to give up a lot of your room behind the screen. Statements need to be well out into the room to perform their best. Don't want you to be disappointed.

If you really want an on wall installation, there are several designs here that have crossover versions designed for on or near wall mounting. look for on wall or "no baffle step".

Leads should be twisted and soldered. You may see some pictures of crossovers in development where the leads are simply twisted together to allow changing values, but the final build is always soldered or secured in some other way, like terminal strips. Proper soldering is not too hard to do, but it takes some practice, so practice.

Depending on your (or your S/O's) cabinet work standards, the cabinets can easily cost as much or more than the drivers and crossovers, even if you don't assign a cost to the time you spend building. If you don't already own tools, you can easily wind up spending more than you would have simply buying the speakers you mentioned. But then you wouldn't have the tools and the next project on the horizon.

There are a lot of naysayers, but you can build yourself a fine looking and performing set of speakers. Take it slowly, read a lot, especially the "first build" threads. Give yourself the benefits of others' mistakes. Enjoy the build and the satisfaction of building your own speakers that do what you want them to. Before you know it you'll have self built speakers in every room of your home and in friend's homes. It's an addictive hobby. That's an interesting idea, I wonder how it would work in my room...

Comment

• crytklmass
                            • Dec 2008

Still researching. lots of reading. Just to update.. The speakers will NOT be visible, they will be placed behind a AT screen or similar so im not worried about aesthetics more functionality for Home Theater. I would prefer NOT to spend alot since its my first build. I would love to build the mini statement or even monitors for my living room. The kits cost from meniscus is $772.64 pair not including wood, etc. OR I found plans for a WaveGuide for $300.00 pair not including the xover, wood, etc.
                            Dayton PA310-8 $65.50
                            Selenium D220ti tweeters $49.99
                            QSC waveguide $35.00
                            Certainly not a pretty but would probably been fine for a small Home Theater room and IF I screw something up im not out close to $800.00. However I would like to build the mini statements or overnight sensation next after I have built something easier. I guess it comes down to price and confidence. Anyone use WaveGuides for HT? will they perform nicely?
                            BOB

Comment

• Face
                              • Mar 2007

A superior waveguide solution: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0
                              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• crytklmass
                                • Dec 2008

the waveguides look pretty cool but I cant get a response concerning the crossover shematic and parts list. I know which waveguide/woofer/ etc to buy but still no answer from my email.. hmmm maybe ill email other members for a crossover parts list and schematic.
                                BOB

Comment

• baranowski
                                  • May 2012

I have heard all kinds of horror stories about people trying to build their own and failing

Comment

• baranowski
                                    • May 2012

Short of the newer room correction, most parts can be had online

Comment

• baranowski
                                      • May 2012

I was looking to DIY a JL fathom but after all of the parts to get the cost was similiar.

Comment

• mattsk8
                                        • Oct 2011

I've built both the Tritrix and the Statements. The Tritrix sound awesome for the money, the Statements are the benchmark for speakers no matter the cost IMO!!

Room placement is a pretty big deal w/ speakers. Knowing where you plan on putting them will get you more solid suggestions. Against the wall? In the corners? These are all factors. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. LOTS of great people here that love to help. I thought I knew a little about speakers 4 years ago, then I found out about DIY :T ! I'm still a bit lost, but I'm finishing up my 3rd build now and looking for my fourth! Be careful, it can get addictive!!
                                        If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life :T

Comment

• Squidspeak
                                          • Jun 2012

What's my name?

Originally posted by baranowski
                                          I was looking to DIY a JL fathom but after all of the parts to get the cost was similiar.
                                          Hey Baranowski, I'm a newer member here and have not posted alot, but
                                          when I saw someone using my last name as a forum name I thought did I read that right? Or did I have too many beers one night and posted my name.
                                          Anyway, hope to read/see you in other forums/threads Squidspeak, AKA Mike
                                          Baranowski

Comment

• Robert F.
                                            • Apr 2007

I built the mini statements and they are awesome. Have about $900 in the pair. Yes, you do need to place them away from the wall. Have you considered starting out with a smaller project to hone your skills? They might not be what you are looking for but for the money the overnight sensations are great. They require crossovers and wood working. Could cut your teeth on them getting ready for the "big boys" of your choice.

Comment

• Hank
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jul 2002

Based on your 90/10 application, I suggest you build the TriTrix, as the Statements are high-end and as has been pointed out, they should be a good distance out from the front wall. They would likely be overkill for your behind-the-screen app. Why spend the money when you can't take advantage of the performance? Just food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"