X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mark_1042
    I really wish there were more 3 way designs out there. There's quite a few to choose from, but a much wider variety of choices if you go with a 2 or 2.5 way. A 3 way version of the SR71 would be awesome. Have never heard the 2 way, but have seen that it gets a lot of good reviews.

I agree. 2 and 2.5 is just much more easy to design and build. Yes to the SR71. I have heard one and it is good. If it had a pair of revelator woofers added then I might just go for that.
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
    Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• dwk
      • Apr 2005

I know the Selah recommendation has already been made, but my search process for projects in the sub-2.5k range has so far failed to turn up anything that I find more interesting than the Selah Tempesta. It'll be limited in absolute output compared to some others due to the single midwoof, but the Illuminator/Accuton/Raal lineup is hard to argue with, and Rick Craig seems to have a reputation I trust to do a good job on the xover.
      Upping the budget to include a sealed sub or 2 and running the Tempestas sealed would fix the max output problem.
      Of course, I say this having not heard them, which is the overriding problem with projects/kits/DIY.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Hi Guys,

A suggestion. Do yourself a favor and listen to some of the designer's speakers before you make a decision. I entered into this hobby with the philosophy that it's all about the midrange and after many, many years, I still have the same thought. Voicing is critical and every designer has their own idea of what the speaker should sound like.

BTW, the ones that make you go "WOW" when you hear them are the designs with carefully selected drivers, thoughtful cabinet construction, accomplished crossover design and most of all, voicing that sounds real. The mids have to be right! Make no mistake, flat frequency response rarely provides the "real performance" sound we all seek. It's where a good designer starts, not where they end.

Good luck in your search!

Jim
        Last edited by Jim Holtz; 16 May 2012, 16:36 Wednesday. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
          Hi Guys,

A suggestion. Do yourself a favor and listen to some of the designer's speakers before you make a decision. I entered into this hobby with the philosophy that it's all about the midrange and after many, many years, I still have the same thought. Voicing is critical and every designer has their own idea of what the speaker should sound like.
          Jim
          +1
          Totally agree. It is amazing how we all talk about targeting neutral and flat, but CJD's sound different than Paul C. who sound different than Curt C. who sounds.... All good, just slight differences. And different approaches to cost and complexity.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• agrippa
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
            Hi Guys,

BTW, the ones that make you go "WOW" when you hear them are the designs with carefully selected drivers, thoughtful cabinet construction, accomplished crossover design and most of all, voicing that sounds real. The mids have to be right! Make no mistake, flat frequency response rarely provides the "real performance" sound we all seek. It's where a good designer starts, not where they end.

Good luck in your search!

Jim
            I agree on everything you just said. Midrange, in my opinion, is key. I plan on taking a listen to some more over the next 6 months. My plan is to pick something by Christmas. I have so much on my plate right now including some book shelves. Planning far in advance is my M.O. I am going to go try a listen at madisound (i will call before). Any DIY conventions in the midwest would be on my list.

As far as flat frequency goes...It becomes a real debate I guess. What is real to me is not to you. I have been to conventions were some people raved over a particular set and all I could think was that it sounded tinny or boomy or bright or fatiguing or (insert audio term here). I use the flat response as a starting point. It was pointed out to me that Troels makes nice stuff but it tends to sound a bit dark...(?) However Troels as well as Curt and John(zaph) seem to design their speakers with a fairly flat response. (others design theirs that way too). I have ran into a few(some who are banned from here) who have wild responses in their designs and I don't care for their designs as much.

I do know that I have always been impressed by the Daytons RS and of course the Scanspeaks as well as Seas drivers. I have worked with a variety of drivers (almost every major brand) over the years so I have some idea on what I think is good.

Thank you again everyone. I enjoy the input and the advise.
            Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
            Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• MarkR
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by agrippa
              One thing that I have noticed about Zaph's designs. There are no complaints.
              Well if you look hard enough there are always one or two but they are very well regarded and it is one of the reasons why I built the ZRT 2.5 way, plonking down this sort of cash without being able to listen is a huge leap of faith but I've had mine for nearly a year and they and they don't disappoint. I give them a bit of a wind up once in a while and have never felt like they are being pushed too hard.
              Last edited by MarkR; 17 May 2012, 05:02 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"