X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt ITD
    • Dec 2009

Sub me out coach!

Hi fellow DIY'ers.

I am doing some research on subs and for the life of me can’t find a build of reputable quality (or any quality for that matter) using the TIT320C-4 12" Titanic Mk III sub. It will be used for HT in a 7.1 system. I plan to build statements monitors and a statements centre to complement the sub. I have read a lot of good reviews about the sub and the price seems to be right. Ideally I am looking for a vented box design to hit those low f3's. If you could point me in the right direction I would be so appreciative.

Matt
  • fbov
    • Jun 2008

When I first asked about building a sub, based on the Titanic line, it was pointed out by several people that there were lower distortion driver options. That reputation may be one reason for the dearth of quality builds.

That, and the fact that sub builds are easy to simulateand build, compared with crossovers, so Titanic builders may not have sought advice...

Have fun,
    Frank

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I think the original Titanic line were not up to snuff compared to other drivers that were available at the time, such as the reasonably priced stuff TC used to sell. So, they kind of got ignored. Other drivers have come and gone and PE is now on their 3rd revision of the Titanic driver. But, you're right. I've never ever seen anyone use one. I don't know whether the current version deserves the bad wrap or not... I thought about this the other day and would love to know. These days, the RS subs are so low distortion, they get all of the love.

Also, I wouldn't trust ANY of the reviews on PE's website. I've read too many that are written by people with zero experience and ability to judge.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Matt ITD
        • Dec 2009

Thanks guys. So should I be looking at the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm as a better option than the titanic.

I note the VAS is 85.1 litres (or 3cu.ft). My concern is porting it and tuning it to a low frequency or will it hit 23 Hz in a sealed cabinet? Could someone also recommend a good program for sub design? Thanks!

Matt ops:

Comment

• Silver1omo
          • Sep 2010

Try Unibox or WinISD or both...
          Ivan.
          My Statement monitors

Comment

• Matt ITD
            • Dec 2009

Hi All,

Just wondering what the difference between the subwoofers below would be. I can’t seem to tell.

RSS315HO-44 12" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer

Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Also could these subs be matched to one of the pre-cut and assembled sub cabinets that PE sells.

Thanks

Matt

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

RSS315HO-44 12" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer is a dual voice coil motor. Dual 4 ohm VCs mean it can be wired in a 2 or 8 ohm configuration vs the single 4 ohm VC in the RSS315HO-4.
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Vilbig
                • May 2008

I built one for a neighbor using the Titanic. I used 2.75 cu ft gross volume, with 2.6 cu ft volume net, tuned to 25 hz. His room is 14 X 20 & he loves it.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"