X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SilverJS
    • Mar 2006

Looking for opinions for DIY thin speaker on TV Stand

Gents,

Been a while since I've been here - have been too busy thoroughly enjoying my Nat P's I built 5 years ago! =)

So I'm off to my next project. I'd like to build a nicely modern TV stand - see quick Sketchup model below. The shelf on the bottom will be home to a receiver and HTPC, and I will also put a hidden downward-firing sub in there, with the amp hidden on the back wall of the stand.

My question, however, is thus : any DIY ideas for the speakers as I have them there? They're about 6" wide by 2' high (and opposite for the center channel), by about 4" deep. Of course, the depth could run a few more inches "inside" the cabinet, as I'll be framing this with 2X4's the same as any other house wall. From the little I understand of BSC, an in-wall design wouldn't really work with this, would it?

I'm basically trying to emulate, DIY-style, the Totem Tribes :

Am I dreaming in color?

Thanks for the help! =)
    Attached Files
  • Jim Griffin
    • Apr 2006

You should read Paul Carmody's Event Horizons thread on Parts Express Tech Talk forum at:

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

His design is similar to what you want albeit with perhaps different drivers or just a MTM version with subs filling in the bass. Several ideas worth following even though I'm not sure that Paul actually finished his design. You might try to contact Paul and follow up on mods for your project.

Comment

• Undefinition
      • Dec 2006

Good call, Jim. Those Totems were one of the speakers I drew inspiration from when doing the Event Horizons.

I didn't publish the design officially yet. There are a few unofficial builds going on right now.
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"