X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasbus
    • May 2012

help picking drivers

i need help choosing drivers.....i am running a active 3-way system with alot of power.....have been looking at ss illums, revelators and at accutron as well
    i am looking for smoth freq res....i am open to others
    i am using 2 15" tc sounds for lows running on a NAD S200 @4ohm
    i will b using 2ch from a NAD 925THX 120rms @8ohm for mids
    2 more ch will b used for highs
    external xover @ 75hz down for sub @18db--75hz to 2500hz? for mids @18db and 2500hz? up for the highs....plz give me some ideas....i want detailed not overly bright..... spl will b a byproduct of the power
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

Typically the SEAS magnesium and Accuton ceramic drivers have the smoothest in band frequency responses, this is because the stiff cone drivers don't exhibit any or have very few cone resonances within their useful pass-band. Of course they do have severe cone resonances at high frequencies, but providing you cross low enough and steep enough, they are hard to beat.

The Revelator drivers have well controlled paper cones and tend to exhibit very smooth and controlled upper cone break-up. So if you're after a soft, smooth cone perhaps this would be the best choice.

The Illuminator series on the other hand, also tend to feature soft cones, but they appear to be somewhat stiffer then those of the revelator series and as a result they do show some rather large resonances during cone break-up.

Another option is the 18Sound 6ND430. This driver comes with a variety of impedance values. This driver has a relatively well controlled paper cone, is sensitive and also has very low distortion.

As high SPLs seem to be something of interest the 18sound driver might be the best bet. Watts may be one thing, but there is no substitute for driver sensitivity when it comes to producing higher then average SPLs.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• jasbus
      • May 2012

could u point me to anyone other madisound for drivers
      any suggestions on tweets? i have tipcally liked silks...metal domes usually sound bright... i have been interested in ribbons but i have no experence w them....thank u

Comment

• 5th element
        Supreme Being Moderator
        • Sep 2009

You've got parts express and meniscus audio. Quite where people in the united states buy 18 sound drivers from I am not sure. Others would have to chime in or you will have to do some searching.
        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
        5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
        Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• craigk
          • Dec 2007

solen audio out of canada

Comment

• agrippa
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jasbus
            could u point me to anyone other madisound for drivers
            any suggestions on tweets? i have tipcally liked silks...metal domes usually sound bright... i have been interested in ribbons but i have no experence w them....thank u

Metal only sound 'bright' when the crossover is poorer executed. metal domes can be and are in many instances smooth when used right. I have heard expensive silk sound terrible because they were used wrong. However bright is subjective and I am not a fan of subjective terms. Detailed is also another term which you mentioned. I am not sure what you mean by it other then it could be you favor some distortions at a certain range or that you are going for ruler flat. Personally I like my speakers to measure flat.

Seas and Scan speak both make excellent drivers. The Vifa XT25 tweeter seems to be a favorite of many and comes at a good price. Seas tweeters are almost universally good as well as scan speak. Woofer and mids from those companies are good but have value issues... they tend to be overpriced. But you get what you pay for. Check out Daytons RS series.

If this is your first set then I recommend you use a proven design which can be found here or around the net or even a kit. I am leaning towards a kit for my next set (I have about dozen sets under my wing). Kits sometimes save you money on parts and they tend to be highly regarded.

check here for good info on drivers http://zaphaudio.com

Just a few good sets that use drivers you mention plus a couple others

I might blather on more later
            Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
            Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• jasbus
              • May 2012

im not planning on using passive xovers so i havent been looking at the kits....thanks for the imput..plz add if u have more thoughts

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"