X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gornir
    • Oct 2011

Tweeter temptations!

Hi everyone,

I thought I should give a heads-up on what’s cooking among the spring, summer and early autumn projects and designs.

Here’s a round-up of the tweeters being used together with some of the very best mid-ranges, mid-woofers and woofers from AudioTechnology and ScanSpeak.

From left to right (Picture1):

* RAAL 140-15D Ribbon Tweeter
    * ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/660000 1” Textile Dome Tweeter
    * ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/662010 1” Small Form Factor Textile Dome Tweeter
    * ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/664000 1” Beryllium Dome Tweeter

Here are some detailed measurements of the AirCirc Textile and Beryllium dome tweeters and a comparison between the two:

ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/660000
    ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/664000
    ScanSpeak Illuminator Textile dome vs Beryllium dome!

Next design to be shared and published is the “Beryllium” version of the Sequence Two - Monitor

The ScanSpeak Beryllium tweeter measures like a dream and it will be a great fun to work with it. Early listening tests indicate that it’s some special hard cone dome tweeter, one of the very best. :T

Another very interesting tweeter is the RAAL ribbon, which I will use in a 3-way reference setup together with AudioTechnology drivers. The AudioTechnology drivers are currently being built at the factory and I hope to get them by the end of the week. :B

Two different ScanSpeak designs are in the pipeline too, a small sized 2-way and a small sized 3-way. Hopefully I will find some time to write about other topics too.

So much fun to do and so little time……

Regards

/Göran
    Attached Files

Author of the "AudioExcite Loudspeaker Design" website

http://www.audioexcite.com
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Thanks!

FYI, the large RAAL will do best with at least a 3K crossover point.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• craigk
      • Dec 2007

great drivers to work with. looking forward to reading about the projects to come.

Comment

• gbegland
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Face
        Thanks!

I agree. Don't believe the quoted crossover point. Keep it above 3KHz and you will be rewarded with smooth, clean sound and plenty of headroom.

Greg

Comment

• gornir
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Face
          Thanks!

Originally posted by gbegland
          I agree. Don't believe the quoted crossover point. Keep it above 3KHz and you will be rewarded with smooth, clean sound and plenty of headroom.

Greg
          Hi,

:T Yes I'm aware of that and that's why I have choosen the mid-range accordingly.

The Audio Technology mid is capable up to 3-3.5kHz without sacrificing off-axis frequency response behaviour.

Regards

/Göran

Comment

• craigk
            • Dec 2007

have you decided on the audio tech drivers you are going to use ?

Comment

• gornir
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by craigk
              have you decided on the audio tech drivers you are going to use ?
              Yes,

Mid-range = C-Quenze 15H521206SDKM (Kapton voice-coil and midrange surround)
              Woofer = Flexunits 10C772510KAP (Sandwich cone)

They are currently being built at the factory and hopefully I get them by the end of the week or early next week.

Regards

/Göran

Comment

• agrippa
                • Dec 2005

Thanks for the info. I am looking at using one of the scanspeaks in my next project. I am not sure they are worth the cost over some of my old standbys that run around $40-$80.
                Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
                Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• gornir
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by agrippa
                  Thanks for the info. I am looking at using one of the scanspeaks in my next project. I am not sure they are worth the cost over some of my old standbys that run around $40-$80.
                  The beryllium tweeter is just crazy expensive and it can certainly be discussed if it’s worth it compared to the D3004/660000, which in my opinion is worth every penny.

The smaller D3004/662010 is cheaper and if it has the same qualities as the D3004/660000 it will be a bargain in my opinion. :T

Regards

/Göran

Comment

• 5th element
                    Supreme Being Moderator
                    • Sep 2009

My one problem with very expensive tweeters is that I have a hard time justifying the cost if replacement dome/voice coils aren't available.

It's one thing to sink $300+ on a single device with replacement parts for $30-50 available. But sinking that much into a tweeter, that once accidentally exposed, is effectively scrap metal...or worse actually has to be disposed of in a specific way. If I were to send a dead 6640 to scan for disposal, I'd expect them to send it me back with a new dome/coil assembly in place >.<

Still it does represent one idea of what could be considered the best you can do, for a standard 1" dome tweeter.
                    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Paulie
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by gornir
                      The beryllium tweeter is just crazy expensive and it can certainly be discussed if it’s worth it compared to the D3004/660000, which in my opinion is worth every penny.

The smaller D3004/662010 is cheaper and if it has the same qualities as the D3004/660000 it will be a bargain in my opinion. :T

Regards

/Göran
                      I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the D3004/662010. Please do report back.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"