X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Ed
    • Apr 2012

New guy ribbon question

Longtime lurker, new poster.
    Anybody looked at the Fountek NeoX ribbons? Based on the limited info, any opinions? Thanks.
    In particular I was wondering about using the NeoX2.0 vs. NeoCD3.0 over a Scanspeak 12m/4631 and 18w/8531.
    I'm still at the thinking stage, haven't done any sims or measuring yet. It takes me a long time to work these things so I get a long headstart on the thinking stage.
    -Ed
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 23 April 2012, 14:04 Monday.
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

You might want to check out this design.

It uses the NeoCD3.0 and gets high reviews. You might want to consider that design. It is on my short list for my next major project...i have another one prior to that though. They also have a smaller version.

What I tend to do is work off of other proven designs. I am not brave enough yet and I have been doing this for 12 years. Find out what it is you are looking for and what your thresholds are. Those are some spendy drivers, so you don't want to goof up. i don't mind goofing up cheap designs. I just start over.

This is another popular design(Scanspeak 18w/8531) with a few options that I am looking at http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

You can get both in kit versions as well.
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
    Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

I'm sure you can adapt this design for one of the Fountecs.

Comment

• Mr.Ed
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by agrippa
        You might want to check out this design.

It uses the NeoCD3.0 and gets high reviews. You might want to consider that design. It is on my short list for my next major project...i have another one prior to that though. They also have a smaller version.

What I tend to do is work off of other proven designs. I am not brave enough yet and I have been doing this for 12 years. Find out what it is you are looking for and what your thresholds are. Those are some spendy drivers, so you don't want to goof up. i don't mind goofing up cheap designs. I just start over.

This is another popular design(Scanspeak 18w/8531) with a few options that I am looking at http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

You can get both in kit versions as well.
        Actually I've built the Ministatements and the Statement center. But I have to sell them, unfortunately they are just too big for my room. I've also buit Jed's R4's and R44's as well as my latest - Selah Audio's SSR's. I was going too get my feet wet designing a two way then I found the SSR's. So I figure might as well jump off the deep end with a three way. But thanks for the info.

Comment

• Mr.Ed
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Jonasz
          I'm sure you can adapt this design for one of the Fountecs.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Ekta.htm
          I've seen those, and that's exactly what I'm thinking of. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to use the new Founteks vs. the old. Thanks for the post.
          -Ed

Comment

• Rick Craig
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Mr.Ed
            Longtime lurker, new poster.
            Anybody looked at the Fountek NeoX ribbons? Based on the limited info, any opinions? Thanks.
            In particular I was wondering about using the NeoX2.0 vs. NeoCD3.0 over a Scanspeak 12m/4631 and 18w/8531.
            I'm still at the thinking stage, haven't done any sims or measuring yet. It takes me a long time to work these things so I get a long headstart on the thinking stage.
            -Ed
            I have a pair of the X2.0's on hand that I'll be measuring soon.

Comment

• Mr.Ed
              • Apr 2012

Looking forward to the results.
              -Ed

Comment

• Rick Craig
                • Jul 2006

Just finished a 2-way with the X2.0 tweeter. Sounds nice - a keeper!

Comment

• Mr.Ed
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                  Just finished a 2-way with the X2.0 tweeter. Sounds nice - a keeper!
                  They're not by any chance based on your SSR's are they?
                  Do you think they sound better than they would with the
                  Fountek Neo CD's?
                  -Ed

Comment

• Rick Craig
                    • Jul 2006

They're not by any chance based on your SSR's are they?
                    Do you think they sound better than they would with the
                    Fountek Neo CD's?
                    -Ed
                    Yes with the 7" Revelator woofer. I haven't compared them side-by-side but would expect the difference to be minimal.

Comment

• Mr.Ed
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                      Yes with the 7" Revelator woofer. I haven't compared them side-by-side but would expect the difference to be minimal.
                      From what you've heard so far, if I was going for a new 3way using the 7"Revelator, the 4" Revelator mid would it be worth stepping up to the X2.0 over the NeoCD 3.0? Thanks.
                      -Ed

Comment

• Rick Craig
                        • Jul 2006

From what you've heard so far, if I was going for a new 3way using the 7"Revelator, the 4" Revelator mid would it be worth stepping up to the X2.0 over the NeoCD 3.0? Thanks.
                        -Ed
                        I think so.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"