X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NWLanding
    • Feb 2012

Mini Statements Baffle Question

I'm wondering whether there would be significant undesired effects from increasing the depth of the baffle from 1 1/4" to 2"? This pic represents the concept I'm interested in pursuing. Note: the roundover on the edge of the baffle is not shown on this pic but would applied. I'm assuming the MDF layers behind the speakers would need to be chamfered. Other ideas?

Edit: To create this pic I just added another 3/4", I could use two 3/4" MDF pieces rather than the 3/4" + 1/2" in the plans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	XrayExtendedFront.webp
Views:	25
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	943327
    Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 19:49 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

The problem is driver tunneling which cups the sound waves and doesn't allow them to pass freely to the back of the cabinet. This is especially critical in the midrange but will affect the woofers too.

I wouldn't recommend increasing the front baffle thickness.

Jim

Comment

• NWLanding
      • Feb 2012

Thanks Jim. I'll figure out some other ways to apply my flare to this great design. ;x(

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"