What are the differences between osmtm and amigas?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunny2151
    • Mar 2012

What are the differences between osmtm and amigas?

I'm very new to this. I've been snooping around the internet looking for the perfect first DIY speakers. The designs that grabbed my interest are the Overnight Sensations MTM build and the Amigas by Paul Carmody. I dont understand what will be so different about the designs and i dont know which to choose. I dont want to bug the designer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • dsrviola
    • Oct 2007

Well......where to start? They're completely different speakers that fulfill completely different needs. You might tell us more about who/what your building the speakers for, what space (how big) they're going to be utilized for, kind of music to be played etc. And if you're considering the Amiga, you should probably consider this one as well since it's by the same designer and just uses a different tweeter: https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/core-2-way

Comment

• Sunny2151
      • Mar 2012

I apologize, I worded my question terribly. I should have asked if there is a big difference in the quality of the speakers (Neutrality, impact, bass extension). I mainly listen to rock, acoustic rock, and blues. The room is pretty small (I'd say 10'x11', but i'll be moving to a larger room soon). Thank you for pointing out the core 2's, I'll add those to my list. I'm just not sure if the quality justifies the price difference.

Comment

• Undefinition
        • Dec 2006

Nah, go ahead and bug me. :W

The two designs actually use a similar kind of voicing. One major difference is going to be in bass extension. The RS180 digs deeper than a pair of HiVi B4N (34 Hz vs upper 40 Hz). The Amiga/Core don't really need a sub... the OSMTM one might consider it (but most are perfectly happy without one).

The OSMTM are more sensitive, but not by a whole lot, since we're talking about a pair of 4" woofers vs. a single 7". Net power handling is probably pretty similar between the two designs.

Also, the Amiga/Core use higher-quality drivers, which can allow for a subtle layer of more detail. (depending on source material, of course)

The Amiga are an easy load to drive by any amp, where the OSMTM are more of a "4 Ohm" design, due to the woofers being in parallel (any amp rated at 6 Ohms or better will play them just fine, though, so don't worry too much)

Any help?
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Sunny2151
          • Mar 2012

So... Much.... Help... You're awesome! I think i might have to go with the core 2's over the amigas and the overnight sensations. Thanks for explaining everything and helping me out!

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Hey Paul,

I skimmed your Core-2 write up. I may have missed it, but I didn't see whether you were using the -4 or -8 ohm version of the RS180. I'm guessing -8, but someone was asking about where to use a -4 version the other day....
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Sunny2151
              • Mar 2012

Do guys have any idea where I could buy either amiga or core 2-way flatpacks? And the core-2 uses the RS180 8-ohm version and it can either be the shielded version or the unshielded version. Also, how does the ZX spectrum line up with the core 2? Both are similarly priced.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"