X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneplustwo
    • Jan 2010

oneplustwo sealed statement build thread

Well... it's happened. Over the course of the last couple months, I got the tang bands on sale at PE. Got the tweeters used. And got the RS225s (NIB shielded no less) from ebay for a great price. X-over components are ordered as well. So much for taking a big break till yet another set of speakers! Hopefully (for my wife) these will indeed kill the urge to build anything else!

Now... to start thinking about cabinet design. Loved bigjim's pair but my skill level is not that high. Any other ambitious ideas out there I should consider?
    Zaph SR-71
    Zaph ZDT 3.5
    Sunflower Redux
    12" Dayton HF sub
    CJD RS 150 MT
    Revelator bookshelf
    2x12 Guitar cab
    Corner loaded line array
  • avddreamr
    • Aug 2005

Insane, where do you keep all of your speakers?
    I'm wondering if the midrange will compare favorably with the sunflowers.

I'm sure it will be a great build, judging from your past projects.

Comment

• oneplustwo
      • Jan 2010

Sunflowers are my every day pair. ZDT's are downstairs. My brother has the SR-71's. And my sub is my one and only sub. So... probably just one pair too many at the moment! Statements may replace one of the pairs I still have... we'll see how they turn out!
      Zaph SR-71
      Zaph ZDT 3.5
      Sunflower Redux
      12" Dayton HF sub
      CJD RS 150 MT
      Revelator bookshelf
      2x12 Guitar cab
      Corner loaded line array

Comment

• john trials
        • Mar 2009

When you are done with your Statements, it would be interesting to hear your opinion of them versus the rest of your speaker collection.
        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• oneplustwo
          • Jan 2010

I am expecting to love the statements based on what everyone here says. That said, I'm really in love with the integration of the RS52 from the ZDT 3.5 for vocals so I believe that is a high bar to hurdle. I also do like the open baffle presentation from the sunflowers. Maybe the Statements will be the perfect blend of the two. I haven't spent time with a ribbon tweeter so that's partly what interests me about the statements. Nor have I built a sealed or large WMTMW speaker so I'm looking forward to that challenge as well. So many flavors, so little time!

As I mentioned before, I need to figure out what cabinet features I want to try out this time. I do know that I want to use my new biscuit joiner. Otherwise... open to any and all ideas!
          Zaph SR-71
          Zaph ZDT 3.5
          Sunflower Redux
          12" Dayton HF sub
          CJD RS 150 MT
          Revelator bookshelf
          2x12 Guitar cab
          Corner loaded line array

Comment

• zephyrtear
            • Oct 2010

Ill be following your build! Hopefully this year ill find some time and guts to build a pair of sealed statements as well! Good Luck!

Comment

• oneplustwo
              • Jan 2010

Got all the parts in today... those shielded RS225s are frigging heavy! And some of the caps in the x-over are the biggest caps I've ever used! Size does matter...

For the cabinet, I was considering having an autoshop spray on the finish since I don't enjoy and am not good at finishing work. Perhaps it could be a flat black or satin black. Has anyone done this before? Any tips or tricks to plan ahead for? Any idea of cost?
              Last edited by oneplustwo; 01 March 2012, 03:05 Thursday.
              Zaph SR-71
              Zaph ZDT 3.5
              Sunflower Redux
              12" Dayton HF sub
              CJD RS 150 MT
              Revelator bookshelf
              2x12 Guitar cab
              Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                • Jan 2010

Has anyone tried beveled corners with the statements? I know that somewhat alters the integration with baffle width but it would be near the corners where the woofers would be so perhaps not as big a deal. It's another aesthetic option that I've not done before so I thought it might be worth entertaining.

That being said, I'm not sure I could physically manhandle the statements to make such a cut... perhaps that's one reason you don't see statements with that feature.
                Zaph SR-71
                Zaph ZDT 3.5
                Sunflower Redux
                12" Dayton HF sub
                CJD RS 150 MT
                Revelator bookshelf
                2x12 Guitar cab
                Corner loaded line array

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"