X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WilZirkle
    • Aug 2011

Khan or Swope

ops: ops:

I read and read and read, till I'm sick of reading, and all I ever seem to be is confused. I know I have an incomplete build thread somewhere on here with my Tritrix center and I promise to update it sometime. However right now I've been wondering about my next build. :W I'm sure others are the same way. I love it when I draw everything out on paper and it look great :T then I make my cuts and nothing is quite right :M and it all gets put to the side for a while.

So here I am confused about what to be daydreaming about building next. I may even plan to start my build sometime soon, but that all depends on funding. So I thought for the longest time I would be building Statements to replace my Tritrix, then very slowly I came to realize that I just couldn't work out the spacing.

I had followed the Kahn builds and Mr Butts slow beautiful build, which thankfully answered all my questions about them. CJD and K had my attention and after a sub-woofer build I planned to make an attempt.

Now along comes Paul Carmody with his Swope everyone was saying great stuff but they didn't seem to be in the same class as the Kahn or Statements. Except for the Center channel...all that talk really had me interested. When Paul talks about how it delivers dialogue, I know I want to hear it. So what happens next the Swope 3-way... groan I'm undecided again.

Can anyone help me understand how the Swope 3-way and the Khanspires differ? I know that sounds like a loaded question and the only Paul has actually heard the Swope 3-way but has anyone compared the centers. I'm looking for ideas on loudness, bass, and clarity. (before you say it I don't want to build both)

I mostly use them to watch TV and movies but sometimes like to turn on music (all kinds). I've always been drawn to the older Klipsch speakers and to B&W, so I guess I like the brighter clarity in the tweeters. I may not turn them up loud often but I want to be able to once or twice a year.

Anyone notice my ADD here? 8O Just wait till I start asking about sub-woofers!

Thanks

Wil
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I think Paul has heard both the Swope and the Khan family - not sure anyone else has.

I know Ryan (K) has talked about some of the scenes he likes to demo with, but that's more about dynamics than specifically addressing dialog. I can say the KhanCenter is tuned specifically to deliver this cleanly (which is why there's the recommended tweaks if you're NOT putting it right below a TV) so I would be surprised if it doesn't meet your needs.

If you want something slightly smaller than the Khanspire, the Garnacha may be the ticket - it'll work great with the Khancenter still (same drivers, in fact.)

If you're pairing with a sub, I'd build sealed all around (personally) whichever way you go.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Paul has heard the Khans in my room, so he would be a good one to discuss the differences. I'm sure the thread title will get his attention and he'll speak up.

Obviously, the biggest difference is cost and capabilities. A big 3-way main will just be able to play louder and cleaner than a 2-way, with all other variables held constant. Even the Khan center will be more capable because of the bigger drivers. How capable of a system do you need?? somewhat depends on the room size, but also depends on how critical you are. I know people who are happy with a small TM in a reasonable sized room, where with the same room the crazies over at AVS will tell you that you need big pro-style horns. :shrug:

There is also a slightly different voicing style on the mains too. Paul can describe it best, so I'll let him. Neither right or wrong, just different personal preference.

Decide with your budget, size, space, and how many crazy looks you want to get from people when they see the size of your speakers. :P Both designs sound good and I think can make most reasonable people and reasonable rooms happy.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• WilZirkle
        • Aug 2011

Thanks guys! I want it to be able to go loud. LOL I have a friend who comes over sometimes and she said (of my tritrix) that I liked building "big" speakers when there were so many options to build stuff that is smaller and sounds good.... Closest thing I have to WAF I guess. I don't care about the size.

The center will go under the TV and ontop of my "TV Stand" (an old buffet I repurposed) I lose a lot with the tritrix this way.

I like Ryan's original mtmww layout too but the links to the design don't have any of the pictures active and I always figured he improved it when he did the Kahns.

You all are great!

Wil

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Chris is a great designer, and I always enjoy hearing his projects, and geeking out and talking shop with him when we see each other.

I think the most apparent difference between something like the Khanspires and the Swope is going to be in voicing. Chris is a violin player (among other instruments) and has a very keen ear for when something like a solo instrument or voice is playing. He can really nail it; and hearing a high-quality recording on his speakers really brings out that "natural" and "real" quality, and is a real treat.

I voice my speakers different music in mind than Chris does. I listen to a lot of rock, electronic, and jazz, and much of that music was created in a studio, and doesn't always have an "acoustic counterpart," so to speak. I also like a lot of recordings that aren't all that high quality, so my goal is to make speakers that are exciting, but also somewhat forgiving of crappy recordings.

So I guess it's a matter of what kind of music you listen to. Me personally, when I listen to rock/metal/dance/electronic, I like my speakers. But if I were listening to more high quality classical recordings, I'd actually prefer to listen to it on Chris' speakers.

Finally, yes it's true that a pair of 8" woofers (Khanspires) will give you more power handling than a pair of 7" (Swope). Oh, and don't let the name "M6A" mislead you on the HiVis. It is a 7" woofer; very close in size and range to the Dayton RS180, but with better bass.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• WilZirkle
            • Aug 2011

Thanks Paul,

Music is really secondary to TV use but it sounds like the music I listen to is more in tune with what you do (puns not intended). I used to like classical but just never find it on my playlist anymore.

I've got a lot to think about here, but I don't think its any clearer a choice.

Wil

Comment

• joeybutts
              • Sep 2009

The Khans will definitely reveal poor recordings, but not to a point they are unlistenable.

I don't know if it is the way I stuffed mine or the design of the cabinet or just the way they were designed by Ryan and Chris, but I can't get over the impact these have. My Dayton 8's rocked, got loud and low.....but these seem effortless and have impact, not just...loud. Don't know how to describe that difference. Dynamic?

I don't have any reference to the Swope design though. Sorry. I will soon with the Speedsters, though that is an entirely different animal.

Thanks for the reference as well! Glad I could be of some help indirectly.

Comment

• WilZirkle
                • Aug 2011

Mr Butts, I always follow your threads, the builds and finished products are always fantastic. Just look at those braces...damn. I like your speedsters, I have a bowl that I turned out of Paduck years ago, the form leaves a little to be desired but it's got great color. I've always kept is out of the sun so that I wouldn't lose the color as fast. You may want to consider a urethane with good UV protection in it.

Comment

• WilZirkle
                  • Aug 2011

I asked my daughter which design she likes better and she picked the swope based on how they look. I like that they are cheaper than the Kahn, but don't want to make the decision just on price. Either is within my budget even with the sub parts I just ordered.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"