X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssare
    • Feb 2012

Recommend me a build

Hi all,

I've been a little dissatisfied with my home theatre setup for a while and recently stumbled across your forum. It never even crossed my mind before, but I think it would be great to build a set of speakers that I could be proud of.

I'm extremely new to the higher end of home audio, and hoping you knowledgeable people could recommend a build for me. I'm looking for a 5 speaker setup (will probably just continue to use my current Subwoofer). I'd also like to keep my current receiver. I know it may not be the best, but it's what I have. Here's what I'm dealing with.

Receiver:
    Pioneer VSX 1020k
    Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm) 80
    Power Output Per Channel (1kHz@8ohm) 110
    Power Output Per Channel (1kHz@6ohm) 125
    I'm hoping that's enough to give you an idea of what it can do.

Room:
    My room is 28x14, and I have it set up sideways, so the distance from centre channel to my ears is probably 11-12 ft, walls on 3 sides, and the right side is open to the rest of the room. I've attached a pic for reference.

I know it's a lot for a new guy to ask, but I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks a ton!
    Steve
    Attached Files
  • johngalt47
    • Apr 2007

What is your budget?

Comment

• ssare
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by johngalt47
      What is your budget?
      I'm thinking somewhere from 1000-1500 in components for the full set.

Comment

• rdrowley
        • Sep 2010

AviaTrix or TriTrix would be a great place to start.

I personally have the 4 Tritrix TL's and a Ported Tritrix for my system and love them for movies. They won't break the bank, but will provide a considerable boost to what you've had. From what I've heard the AviaTrix are just a step up from that. I also have some Overnight Sensations which I think sound better than the Tritrix's but I'm not sure they would fill your room. They might if you built the MTM version, but I'm not sure.
        -Ryan

Comment

• zephyrtear
          • Oct 2010

Hey. You could also take a look at the statement monitors and center from the same site as the avia and tritrix. That is what i decided to go with. And i will probably build the F4 as surrounds.
          Lineup F4

But you could also go with 4 statement monitors and the center channel.

Or you could go with the complete Swope HT set
          Swope HT I dont know it well, but its worth taking a look at it.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Paul's OS, Sietecerocero (TM and MTM available), even the NatP may fit the budget. Zaph has some stuff too. So very many options.

The SCC mtm fills a surprisingly large space really well as evidenced at ChicagoDIY. I'd look to MTM up front whichever design you choose.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Ray_D
              • Apr 2005

Look at Zaphaudio

Ray

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=35905 = That is what I built for my brother.

The TriTrix are good speakers, but they are an old design. The Sietecerocero / Ochocinco (identity crisis) cost about the same with newer better drivers and the same 8ohm stable.

I echo the others. If you pick a design from here, Paul Carmody, or Zaph, you'll be happy. There are a few other designers out there too. To many options and variables that picking just one as the best is impossible. Don't over think, just pick one and go.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• fbov
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by cjd
                  Paul's OS, Sietecerocero (TM and MTM available), even the NatP may fit the budget. Zaph has some stuff too. So very many options.

The SCC mtm fills a surprisingly large space really well as evidenced at ChicagoDIY. I'd look to MTM up front whichever design you choose.
                  +1

I really like MTMs for multichannel. Just be aware that from OS through to NatP, you're increasing driver size and so cost, power handling and SPL capability. I made NatP's, which were still $200 in parts each last year. Just be aware that you'll need to build the Modual MTM CC design, not a fifth NatP, and that runs $350 all by itself.

Note that these are 3.2 ohm speakers, so you may want to read this:
                  This article explores the purpose and function of the impedance switch found on some A/V receivers. Tradeoffs of following manufacturers recommended settings are also discussed. YouTube video inside.

The next issue is placement wrt walls and your ears. Your room is 28x14 but offset to one end, mine is 22x16 with screen centered on a long wall.

The idea is that nothing sounds good near a wall, not speakers and especially not our ears. The first thing you need to do is move the couch forward, away from the wall. No speakers or placement can fix the problems you hear right next to a wall. Getting 3 ft. behind you still gives 10 ft. to the screen, about what I have (my HDTV is 2ft. deep).

Speakers can be designed to work against a wall, or out in a room, but not both. If you decide on free-standing speakers, listening distance becomes important - you need enough distance from a speaker to integrate the drivers of a multi-way design. Again, this points to an MTM over a tall 3-way. In fact, you may want to go small, a la Overnight Sensations for just this reason. Regardless, be sure to follow the deisgner's advice regarding the CC.

Finally, we can talk about where surrounds belong - to the sides - but only to the extent that you don't have any other options....

HAve fun,
                  Frank

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"