Worth doing anything with a Velodyne HGS-10 driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Worth doing anything with a Velodyne HGS-10 driver?

The amp in my Velodyne HGS-10 has gone kaput and I'm not sure I want to pay the $600+ to fix it.

Any thoughts about the pros and cons of using it as a passive box, or transplanting the driver?

I have a MiniDSP, a DEQ2496 and a DSP1100 sitting in cupboards available for EQ.
    Steve's OB Journey
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

There's nothing wrong with using it as a passive box providing you've got an amplifier to drive it with that's suitable.

It will undoubtedly need a lot of power and some considerable EQ - all small subs work in this way and the Velodyne will be no different. From what I can see it originally had a 1000 watt amplifier, which is probably what was necessary considering the minute cabinet and a heck of a lot of EQ.

You will basically need to do some nearfield measurements of the driver in the box to determine what its frequency response and alignment is. You could also do this by measuring it's impedance, which is a lot easier to do if you don't have measuring equipment. Once you've figured out the alignment it's a simple matter of calculating what EQ is required, usually via a Linkwitz Transform circuit and plugging it into one of your DSP units. Do make sure to use a high-pass of some-sort to protect against ridiculous gain requirements at very low frequencies.

Having an amplifier inside a sub fail isn't surprising considering it's all internal and will most likely get quite hot in places. You could try and determine what's wrong with the amplifier first though perhaps - it could be a simple fix, but then again, it might not.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"