X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geniuss_dad
    • Jan 2012

Dayton-Classic vs RS

For a small home theater setup, on a budget build, will I notice and serious differences if I use the classic line? Thinking of building Nat P or a TW setup I found elsewhere. Thanks.
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

I haven't seen a lot of measured data on the Dayton classic line, but from what I can gather they are nothing more then basic drivers at a basic price. Zaph measures the DC160 here and as you can see it's performance is pretty terrible.

The reference series however has been built with performance in mind but done at a very affordable price. The series basically forms a point performance-wise that is, on the whole, unbeatable, unless you want to pay significantly more, or don't find the drivers suitable due to the metal cone issues. There are some select drivers that will compete performance and price wise but you have to know which ones these are.

The NatPs are a great design using great drivers so are a no brainer if they fit your requirements and budget.

On the other hand if you're going to use a sub then it's possible that Zaphs series of loudspeakers, based around his ZA14 driver (a very affordable driver that beats the reference Daytons imo) would perhaps suit better.

You can buy his products over at madisound as individual items or as kits. If you're not in the US you're probably better avoiding Zaphs kits as postage will become very expensive.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Geniuss_dad
      • Jan 2012

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look at Zaphs stuff.

Comment

• Bear
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2008

Also note that changing the drivers, unless sanctioned by the designer, will require a completely new crossover, which is often where the real work/design is involved. You could do a "NatP" with classic series drivers, but I don't think Jon has published a crossover schematic for them. Few drivers are ever "drop in" replacements, and even when there are drop-in replacements, such substitutions may be situational.
        Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• 5th element
          Supreme Being Moderator
          • Sep 2009

Oh I see, I didn't realise Geniuss_dad was wanting to build the NatP but substitute the drivers for the classic series. No, this is not an option. The RS drivers are quite demanding in their specific crossover requirements and if you substitute in any other driver it is likely to do far more harm then good.
          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• Geniuss_dad
            • Jan 2012

At this point, Im leaning more toward the tritrix. seems a bit more economical for a first build. I was actually just curious about the pros and cons of the RS vs Classic in a small setting. My seating is only about 8ft from the tv. I completely understand that the RS is a better speaker. If all goes well, I will probably do something with the RS or one of the other drivers at that level. Right now my head is spinning from all of the possibilities. Just have to remember the WAF.

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

Well I'd say you can rationalise the head-spinning effect with a little bit of thinking on the issue. The choices may seem quite large but after a bit of thinking you will start to realise that there's a lot less to this then you're perhaps thinking there is at the moment.

My personal take on building loudspeakers is that they can take a lot of physical work and effort to complete. Good/excellent quality drivers, such as Zaphs and the RS line can be had for relatively little money. If I am going to put in the effort to make some loudspeakers with a fit and finish that the significant other can be proud of then I want to put a certain quality of driver into that cabinet and the Dayton classic series does not fit that criteria. I would call that a waste of an excellent box.

As it stands the vifa tweeter Zaph uses in his designs is cheaper then the one in the tritrix and the crossovers for the tritrix and Zaphs ZA5 designs are quite similar in component count. The only major difference in price is the ZA14 which comes in at twice the price of the DC130 used in the tritrix.

If you're thinking of doing the MTM or TMM version of the ZA5 designs then the only real cost increase is the price of the mid/bass drivers, which turns about to be around $80.

From my perspective, after you've factored into it the cost of the MDF, binding posts, the veneer, the protective finish, an extra $80 could probably seem less then it does now. I would personally much rather save an extra $80 and build the ZA5.3/5.3t then the tritrix.

This of course is only my personal view on the subject. Others will no doubt have their own

Comment

• jliedeka
                • Nov 2008

If you are looking to make speaker building a hobby, then there's nothing wrong with an inexpensive build to start. If you just want a set of nice speakers, then look at the ZA5s or NatPs.

Jim

Comment

• agrippa
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Geniuss_dad
                  At this point, Im leaning more toward the tritrix. seems a bit more economical for a first build. I was actually just curious about the pros and cons of the RS vs Classic in a small setting. My seating is only about 8ft from the tv. I completely understand that the RS is a better speaker. If all goes well, I will probably do something with the RS or one of the other drivers at that level. Right now my head is spinning from all of the possibilities. Just have to remember the WAF.
                  WAF seems to be key in most builds. Yes, keep it simple for your 1st build. I built the tritrix. Very nice for the price. Easily as nice as anything you can get at BB for about $600 or less.
                  However, I think I would go for Zaph's if I had to it again
                  Last edited by agrippa; 07 June 2012, 12:01 Thursday.
                  Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
                  Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"