X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

NaO Note

Finished my Notes a couple of days ago. They use the Acoustic Elegance IB15 in H-baffles instead of the originals XLS U-baffles. After some tinkering with the MiniDSP I got the basses tuned in. Needless to say, they sound awesome! I'm very happy how they turned out. Thanks JohnK for a fantastic design! :P

The top baffle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Note_top.webp
Views:	148
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	939346

And here's the complete left channel including the poweramp doubling as a base. :B

Click image for larger version

Name:	Note_topbot.webp
Views:	36
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	939347
    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 14:00 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Congrats! I bet they sound great.

John really knows his stuff. I sure would like to hear a pair of these.
    Dan N.

Comment

• Saurav
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I'd love to see a picture of the back, and a closeup of how the tweeter is mounted

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Those look great. I too wish I could hear a pair of these.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• sfdoddsy
          • Sep 2000

Congrats. I came very close to building a set but in the end the aesthetics and my lack of passive xover building skills made me stick with my current speakers.

How do they sound compared to your previous dipoles?
          Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• skvinson
            • Dec 2002

How much space do these need behind them? I'm interested, but don't know if I have enough room. Currently, I have 44" from the front of my speakers to the back wall.

Comment

• avddreamr
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by skvinson
              How much space do these need behind them? I'm interested, but don't know if I have enough room. Currently, I have 44" from the front of my speakers to the back wall.
              Although that might be enough space behind the speakers, I would imagine that you would have to be a ways back for the drivers to sum properly.
              Refer to this link below.

At 12 feet you have a vertical window of 2feet 3" centered at 38" high where response is within 5db, I would think that the nao would probably do better in this respect, if i'm understanding this properly this is due to driver summation.

@Jonasz: Beautiful build, I bet they sound amazing.

Comment

• Jonasz
                • Nov 2004

Thanks guys!

sfdoddsy Congrats. I came very close to building a set but in the end the aesthetics and my lack of passive xover building skills made me stick with my current speakers.
                The crossover really aren't that hard to put together, I mean there's a layout to follow! :B

How do they sound compared to your previous dipoles?
                That's the million $ question! Hard to say but these sound less "in your face" and a little softer, more SS Revelator than Excel so to speak. The top end of the Note is IMHO much better than the various domes I've used before, no doubt about that. Also, these can play a lot louder before sounding stressed/aggressive.

In all I'm very satisfied with them and I don't regret trying something new! :T

Comment

• john k...
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by avddreamr
                  Although that might be enough space behind the speakers, I would imagine that you would have to be a ways back for the drivers to sum properly.
                  Refer to this link below.

musicanddesign.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, musicanddesign.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

At 12 feet you have a vertical window of 2feet 3" centered at 38" high where response is within 5db, I would think that the nao would probably do better in this respect, if i'm understanding this properly this is due to driver summation.

@Jonasz: Beautiful build, I bet they sound amazing.
                  I don't usually post at the discussion groups much anymore but I though I could answer a couple questions.

First, I'd like to thank Jonas for the positive comments and the great looking build.

With regards to the back side of the tweeeter, it looks exactly like the front side. It is symmetric front and rear. With regards to the listening window, the optimum window shown on my web site is for the direct sound. The actually window when considering the in room response is vertically wider, as judged by listening experience. The baffle can also be tilted to "aim" the optimum window to align with listening position. The limited vertical window is a result of the necessarily, rather high crossover point to the Neo 3 tweeter. This was a trade off against the more uniform polar response.

Again, thanks Jonas for the kind words.
                  John k....
                  Music and Design

Comment

• Saurav
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

With regards to the back side of the tweeeter, it looks exactly like the front side. It is symmetric front and rear.
                    I understand that the waveguide around the tweeter is symmetrical. But the tweeter itself isn't, since it has the connector tabs on the back, and that's what I was curious about. Does the wiring run down the back, or is it routed inside the baffle?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"