X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_free69
    • Dec 2007

Statement Monitor mod questions

When I first heard the Statement Monitors I knew they were a sweet design I'd have to build, even if I wasn't 100% certain about being able to accommodate the rear tunnel clearances. So I decided to borrow the TB W4 and Fountek ribbon from my Lineups R44 and give it a go. I've been living with them built into a temporary cabinet and now its time to finish the job. Not that I'm dissatisfied with them in any way, but I've been contemplating some variations on the Statement family.

1) As circumstances have it, I have an opportunity to build them into an existing 1.4 cuft floorstander. Going by the published specs that would give them some extra low end extension ( ie virtually flat down to 40) . Has anybody looked into this, or is it asking too much of the RS180? Whats the biggest size recommended for it to handle for moderate levels? (I could always reduce it internally)

2)The other line of thought is to use the much heftier* big brother RS225
    a)I also already have a pair of the 4ohm version which is about a db more sensitive than the RS180. It seems that the Monitor mid and tweeter XO's have a pad, so would it be as simple as adjusting these to match levels?

b)The 8 ohm version of the 225 (used in the big Statements) looks to be an even better performer in this cabinet. Obviously that means tossing the existing woofer XO. But what are the mid tweeter XO's? Could it be possible to get away with just matching levels?

(* As far as the "7in" /180 vs "8in"/225, if you put them side by side, the difference is much bigger than one might guess. The effective diameter (not counting flange and surround) are about 4.5" and 6" with areas of about 16 and 28, respectively.)
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Swapping drivers is almost always a different design, not just a drop-in swap with some padding adjustment. There are sometimes tweeters that can be swapped around - acoustic centers, radiation patterns, impedance and FR similarities...

In this case, build as designed, or find something else that has been designed to use the drivers you have.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jeff_free69
      • Dec 2007

yeah, i know that this part of it is mostly wishful thinking, and that some real work is likely involved. I just figured it was worth asking , since there's a lot of fine designs with these drivers, it seems like an interesting and reasonable permutation.

And a quick measurement confirmed something my ears seemed to be telling me. The difference between the 225-4 and 180-4 is more than the 1 db the specs suggests ; its more likely at least 2 db.

But I was able to try an interesting experiment this weekend. I took the RS180-4 and temporarily mounted it in an old 1.4 cft cab, already tuned to ~34. (The 180 fits nicely inside the cutout for the 225, so i had to fabricate a little backplate for now.) Running it thru its paces at normal levels (90 db @6-8 ft), i never detected any bottoming out. I'm not sure how much headroom is left like this, but so far I can't complain.

So option 1, with the proper baffle cutout of course, might be looking good. Any reason the Monitor couldn't simply be made taller like this (other than it starts to look like a mini-Statement without the extra driver)?

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

As long as the width and the driver layout stays the same, you can make them taller.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"