Livingroom installation of ZA 5.2iw/5.3iw (or simular?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impulse
    • Jan 2009

Livingroom installation of ZA 5.2iw/5.3iw (or simular?)

In short: new house - new possiblilities. Me and my family moved to a new house last year and now its about time to look into buliding a useable HT in the livingroom. While an ideal HT installation is preferrable, I need to make a lot of compromises. An ideal installation demands a lot space, and may not be possible to achieve in a livingroom that has a multi purpose use.

I really cant see the point in spending thousands of dollars on top-of-the-line speakers and electronics, if you cant give them good working conditions. I've seen a lot of installations of e.g. B&W 800-series squeezed right up in a corner. Please read the excellent article from Paul Spencer about speaker placement here: http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/...dspeak ers/P5/

This project will aim to give decent soundquality within a decent budget while keeping my wife happy.... This installation will be in our livingroom so big floorstanders are out of the question. The system should be useable with both stereo and HT.

I think I will go for in-wall LCR and surrund. Here is a drawing of the front-layout:

- numbers inside () is inch or feet

A couple of worries about the setup:
    • Is the L and R too close to the sidewalls?
    • Is the center to low (should it be over the screen)?

Compromises in this setup:
    • LCR not in line
    • The TV screen will not be perfectly flush with the wall (depending on type of screen it will stand 1-2 inch out from the wall - unless I recess it... )

I will build the ZA 5.3iw (or 5.2iw) in vented enclosuers, but flush with the wall (using the in-wall XO-layout). I cant really decide if I should go for 5.3 or 5.2. They have simular polar-response so the 5.2 is usable as a horisontal center). The enclosures need to be shallow to fit in the wall. There will be no more than 2 inches from back of the woofermagnet to the backwall of the enclosures. If I use 1 inch of damping inside the backwall there will only be 1 inch of free air behind the magnet. Will this raise significant problems with reflections inside the enclosures and will these problems increase with higher output-levels?

Here is a drawing of the wall where the front-system will be mounted:

Here is the layout of the livingroom:

I have not decided anything yet, so any comments and recommendations before I start cutting walls would be appreciated.
  • Sylvan
    • Dec 2010

Sorry to go off topic, but what program did you use to make the layout? I like it.

Comment

• impulse
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Sylvan
      Sorry to go off topic, but what program did you use to make the layout? I like it.
      I used a online program called RoomSketcher http://www.roomsketcher.com/ .

Comment

• BOBinGA
        • Mar 2009

The object to the left of the television is a woodstove, I presume. The chimney chase wall behind it would be good place for a subwoofer. These speakers will need a sub. You could build it into the wall for the chinmey and make it hidden. Face it toward the television and insulate all around, otherwise the fire might get it too hot.

Also, hard floor are difficult for a sound system. You might consider at least using a rug that nearly fills the entire listening area. Some wall hangings and/or window treatments will also help.

-Bob
        -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
        My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
        The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• impulse
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BOBinGA
          The object to the left of the television is a woodstove, I presume. The chimney chase wall behind it would be good place for a subwoofer. These speakers will need a sub. You could build it into the wall for the chinmey and make it hidden. Face it toward the television and insulate all around, otherwise the fire might get it too hot.

Also, hard floor are difficult for a sound system. You might consider at least using a rug that nearly fills the entire listening area. Some wall hangings and/or window treatments will also help.

-Bob
          Yes, the object to the left is a woodstove, there is no room for a subwoofer in the chimney chase. I will use one or two subs. I can build it into the backwall. I am searching after a good in-wall sub.

And the woodfloor will be covered with a carpet in this aera.

Comment

• impulse
            • Jan 2009

A few quick questions:
            • Can I use the ZA 5.2iw as a ceiling surround speaker or am I better of with a more normal ceilingspeaker (eg a Tang Band/Descant or simular Coax)?
            • The ZA-iw LCR will have shallow boxes (only about 2 inch clearance behind magnet). Will the backwave issue be redused if I choose the 5.3 over the 5.2? Or to ask in another way: will potential backwave issues increase with higher SPL?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"