X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundemon
    • May 2009

issue with statements, RS-225-8

Hey all
    Seems I 've got an issue with one of my woofers in my statements. One of the woofers is making a buzzing sound at higher volumes, even when crossed over at 60Hz.

I swapped top / bottom and the probem followed the woofer. I measured them both and they're both stable at 6.4 ohms static resistance.

I'd imagine a replacement will be nessesary. I can see that the origional shielded woofer is no longer available. is the non-shielded RS225-8

a drop in replacement?
    Thanks!
    DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!
  • john trials
    • Mar 2009

Dirt in the voice coil area, maybe? It's a common problem (it happened on 3 of mine). Try a 20Hz test tone to get the woofer moving, then spray compressed air into the voice coil area to flush out the grit. That's solved most people's RS noise problems.
    Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• joeybutts
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by john trials
      Dirt in the voice coil area, maybe? It's a common problem (it happened on 3 of mine). Try a 20Hz test tone to get the woofer moving, then spray compressed air into the voice coil area to flush out the grit. That's solved most people's RS noise problems.
      ^^This.

But I am 99% sure I have seen it is a drop-in.

Comment

• Coconutout
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by john trials
        seconded. for me the solution was a vacuum cleaner. savage, yes ops:

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I've not tested the 225, but the RS180 and RS150's were perfect drop-ins, and I've seen results from 225's and 270's elsewhere suggesting PE did a great job making them just swap out.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• soundemon
            • May 2009

I opened everything up yesterday, but wondering, whats the best technique to get some compressed air in to the VC's? the spider is covering all access there - do i just get a test tone going and blow air into that ara and hope for the best? (sorry for the noob question)
            DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Comment

• joeybutts
              • Sep 2009

I believe you just do it around the phase plug.....

Comment

• john trials
                • Mar 2009

Yes, blow the air from the front of the speaker into/around the phase plug area. No need to disassemble your speaker, or remove the drivers. Sorry...I should have been more specific.
                Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• jeff_free69
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                  I've not tested the 225, but the RS180 and RS150's were perfect drop-ins, and I've seen results from 225's and 270's elsewhere suggesting PE did a great job making them just swap out.

C

That response seems a little OT for this thread, but it just happens to be along the lines of something on my mind, so i hope nobody minds me furthering the OT-ness...

I have a 1.5 cuft tower cabinet available, an RS225-4 and all the components for a Statement Monitor. I'm thinking about upsizing the Statement monitors from the RS180-4. The bass should be significantly deeper. Assuming the upper part remains the same , I'm just wondering if the XO tweaks would be very severe.

Comment

• joeybutts
                    • Sep 2009

I'm pretty sure cjd meant that going from the shielded version to the unshielded is a perfect drop in, not that you can switch the driver sizes....... If I am reading your message correctly too.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jeff_free69
                      That response seems a little OT for this thread, but it just happens to be along the lines of something on my mind, so i hope nobody minds me furthering the OT-ness...

I have a 1.5 cuft tower cabinet available, an RS225-4 and all the components for a Statement Monitor. I'm thinking about upsizing the Statement monitors from the RS180-4. The bass should be significantly deeper. Assuming the upper part remains the same , I'm just wondering if the XO tweaks would be very severe.
                      Curt would have to comment on the crossover changes (I'd expect quite a few) but I will comment on deeper bass with the RS225-4. All of the Statements series speakers have F/3's in the mid 30's. They are within a few Hz of each other. The differences are bass authority (no replacement for displacement) and maximum SPL capability. I would not expect a single 8" driver to offer significantly more bass impact than the single 7" in the existing design.

The modeling I've done with the new RS225's points to the RS225-8 unshielded as the best match of deep bass in a reasonable size ported enclosure. This is all with advertised T/S parameters in Unibox rather than actual measurements.

Jim

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by joeybutts
                        I'm pretty sure cjd meant that going from the shielded version to the unshielded is a perfect drop in, not that you can switch the driver sizes....... If I am reading your message correctly too.
                        Yes, that is indeed what I meant.

You probably can not go from one driver to another cleanly without at least some crossover tweaks. Though the RS180 to RS225 is going to be close, there are sensitivity differences to worry about no matter how you work it.
                        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jeff_free69
                          • Dec 2007

Ah - now i see! (totally missed the point about the NLA shielded versions)...

Also, thanks for pointing out that the RS225-8 published specs do make it look like a better performer in a 1.4 cuft cab (than the 225-4 etc) and tantalizingly flat down to 40

(guess i should spin a new thread here ... )

but for that matter, the stock RS180-4 looks fairly close in extension in the same volume, so that might be a better solution.

But is that asking too much of the 180, assuming reasonable loudness levels? (Monitors have a net volume of ~.85cft) As far as the "7in" vs "8in" , if you put them side by side, the difference is much more than one might think. The effective diameter (not counting flange and surround) are about 4.5" and 6" with areas of about 16 and 28, respectively.

Comment

• soundemon
                            • May 2009

Ended up replacing the woofer with the non-shielded RS255-8. Everything sounds great. Funny how one of the woofers being off messes up the whole sound!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"