Yet another "help me pick a speaker" thread...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bemis23
    • May 2009

Yet another "help me pick a speaker" thread...

As if there aren't enough of these floating around here, I've got questions of my own. Although I had a couple threads on this topic circumstances have changed enough to warrant a new thread I believe.

Wants: 2 or 3 way speaker project (L/C/R matching or close) that can handle theater and music duties in my living room. Ability to handle high volumes a plus as we frequently have people over for movie nights and the occasional barbeque or late-night party (thank god for awesome neighbors that would rather join the complain!). Ability to handle low-end bass is not much of a concern, as long as I can get low enough to effect a smooth cross over to my subs at 60 or 80hz.

Physical constraints: The room is sub-optimal if you describe it generously. Speaker placement will have to be less than 12" from back to wall. Listening position is approx 12" away, and also next to a wall (room treatment suggestions welcome!). Center channel will have to be wall mounted or be placed on a fireplace mantle which has a depth of only 8.5" from wall to lip.

Budget constraints: Ideally I'd like to budget no more than $400/pair for the left and right. If truly compelling option is available for slightly more I can consider it. $500 is about the max I can handle to allow money for construction and finish.

WAF: Thin profile floor standing is probably the best option. The monster subs I built sound amazing, but....they may have to be sold and redesigned to be slightly more compact and less visually imposing.

Electronics: Currently running an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver. It's not 4-ohm stable, but upgrades are in the works to move to a new Yamaha AVR and an Emotiva XPA amp.

Rear speakers are not a factor in this particular case. A sloping roof + an external wall means I'm probably looking at architectural drivers unfortunately.

Picture of said room:

Click image for larger version

Name:	I3Vyt.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	935832

Edit: pardon the mess in the picture.

2nd edit: Designs I have been considering are the Natalie Ps, "out- Khan-neatos", Sietecerocero, Lou C's Cryolite, Zaph's BAMTM, and CJD's RS150 MTM.
    Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 19:38 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
  • Generic George
    • Mar 2011

If you are contemplating a new AVR and an Amp. You would be far better served by spending the amp money on the speakers and picking a design that can be driven by an avr.

Your speakers are hands down, no contest, orders of magnitude more important than the electronics in terms of your sound quality. It doesn't matter what you are using for equipment or source material. If your speakers can't reproduce it, you aren't going to hear it.

If you can not build your own cabinets for the speakers, that can cut into your budget substantially. In your price range $50-100 for cabinets represents a significant chunk of the budget.

Parts Express is probably your best bet on a tight budget. They do have a number of fairly inexpensive cabinets as well.

Madisound does tend to be more expensive, but has some very good kits.
    I'd give the Zaph kits in particular a good look. If you can build your own cabinets they are dirt cheap.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors. DIY Loudspeaker Kits for Speaker Builders Madisound offers a wide selection of do-it-yourself loudspeaker kits for nearly all high-fidelity applications. These are typically superior in quality than comparable consumer audio products, at a fraction of the price. We provide the drivers and assembled crossovers for a majority of published DIY speaker designs available online. Contact us directly to learn more about archived designs for which we can provide drivers and assembled crossovers. These xover designs span decades and even include many using drivers no longer available.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors. 2-Way MTM Kits: Tweeter & 2 Mid/Bass Woofers DIY Loudspeaker Kits for Speaker Builders Madisound offers a wide selection of do-it-yourself loudspeaker kits for nearly all high-fidelity applications. These are typically superior in quality than comparable consumer audio products, at a fraction of the price. We provide the drivers and assembled crossovers for a majority of published DIY speaker designs available online. Contact us directly to learn more about archived designs for which we can provide drivers and assembled crossovers. These xover designs span decades and even include many using drivers no longer available.

If you can do the cabinets. I'd also give this kit a look. The ribbon tweeter in this is used in a lot of fairly expensive speakers and is something a bit different from the typical tweeter you find in the vast majority of speakers.

This page has been removed, but Madisound has thousands of loudspeaker parts. Contact us today at info@madisound.com.

Comment

• bemis23
      • May 2009

Ill definitely be building the cabinets. Ill take a look at the kits you posted. I totally forgot about the Zaph kits.

Thanks!

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

In your situation, I would do the Ochocinco's. It will work well with your receiver and fit nicely in your budget. The flexible room placement will also work well for you.

OR maybe Curt's Sten II MTM. The kit from Madisound is like $120. The Aura woofer is similar to the ND140 and it has the same tweeter as the Ocho. It probably is a great kit. Everyone is always happy with Curt's work.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• mattsk8
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ---k---
          OR maybe Curt's Sten II MTM. The kit from Madisound is like $120. The Aura woofer is similar to the ND140 and it has the same tweeter as the Ocho. It probably is a great kit. Everyone is always happy with Curt's work.
          Has anyone here heard this kit? How do these compair to the Tritrix? Specifically, the Tritrix MTM TL? I built the Tritrix and a friend's looking to build some speakers now cuz he's pretty impressed w/ them. Just curious how these sound for basically the same money in comparison?

Or, maybe these can't be built as a tower?
          If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life :T

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

It is a very very new kit. I've seen a couple people say they are building them, but I haven't seen anyone complete them.

They should be better quality than the Tritrix since they use better drivers. The Tritrix is an old design.

He has a full size tower design with 5 midwoofers per side. About $200 per pair.
            This is a good thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=38969
            It touches on the full size tower, the smaller MTM, and even the differences between the drivers in the Sten II and the Ochocinco.

If you want a tower, but with the MTM instead of the bigger version, no issue. Just build as a tower.

PE also has a long thread. Also see Curt's website, good info there.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• bemis23
              • May 2009

So after reading and comparing all the different designs I've decided to go against the grain and build the BAMTM's from Zaph's site, based on the fact that I have a buddy that wants to build them as well (cost savings, shared experiences, etc..). Obviously, the center channel box will require some modifications to the box length and depth to accommodate placement, but that won't be difficult. I'm still really interested in the Sten IIs and the Ochocincos....and fortunately I have a billiards room that is in dire need of a set of speakers that either of these designs would work really well in (purely a 2.1 setup).

I did finally get a new receiver (thanks Newegg sales! - Yamaha A3000 for under a $1000), and it is 4-ohm stable so I think I'm set as far as electronics go, for now at least. I've decided to put off the purchase of a secondary amp until I have a real need for it.

I read some of Zaph's posts on the PE forum regarding folks building the BAMTM and using a 3rd as a center channel and the lobing issue doesn't appear to be very bad , since all of the listening/viewing positions are no more than +/- 20 degrees from on axis. The DA175 drivers are on sale now at PE, so I'm gonna go ahead and start collecting parts. The wife has put limits on budget though since I just spent a fair chunk on a new AVR and some other stuff I was wanting, so this will probably be a May/June build.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other advice I'm all ears.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"