X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ipstatic
    • Nov 2011

Zaph Audio ZA5.2/ZA5.3c Impedance?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I cannot seem to figure out the impedance for both the ZA5.2 and ZA5.3c speakers. I want to say the ZA5.2 is close to 8 ohms and the ZA5.3 closer to 6 ohms.

On a related note would the ZA5.3c be good as a center channel or just another ZA5.2?
  • BOBinGA
    • Mar 2009

The 5.2 is an 8 ohm design. The 5.3c is a 4 ohm design.

The 5.3c and the "reduced baffle step" 5.2 have very similar frequency responses, so either one would work well as a center channel. However, the 5.2 should be used in an upright position rather than horizontal, while the 5.3c is designed for horizontal operation.

-Bob
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• jkrutke
      • Dec 2005

To add a comment, while the 5.2 has better horizontal off axis response when vertical, the design's vertical lobing is not so bad that it can't be laid on it's side. To quote from the project page:

Vertical polar response is tall enough that this system can be used on it's side for a center channel. Nobody wants an "upright" center channel, so horizontal usage was a requirement. A tall vertical window while upright is a good horizontal off axis response while on it's side. Dialog should be clear enough with a +/- 30 degree window.
      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• ipstatic
        • Nov 2011

Thanks guys. I am planning on still building a 5.3c as a center channel. Has anyone ran into problems powering a 5.3c with an amp rated only down to 6 ohms for the center? I am planning on buying the Marantz SR5005 but it is only rated for 6 ohms or higher for the center.

Comment

• rdk
          • Feb 2011

I have the same question..... I will be using a Marantz SR5006, with an advertised 100 wpc, and calls for the 6 or above ohm load. I would love to build (at least), the front stage out of the 5.3, but I'm worried about the receiver with the 4 ohm impedance.

Comment

• benchtester
            • Sep 2007

I doubt you will have any problems.

For one thing the ZA5.3 has good sensitivity, so the amp draw is roughly equivalent to a lower (~84 dB @2.83v) 8 ohm speaker. So you should be able to go up to 100 dB without the amp going into currently limiting.

A second problem is with increase power dissipation from the transistors (higher current and higher voltage across the transistors). This would be a problem with high volume for long periods. So you probably don't want to use it for a "house party".

Theoretically, the amp could be unstable (oscillating) at low impedance. But I doubt a commercial product would be tuned so close to the edge.

Comment

• 707kevin
              • Oct 2010

Should be fine. I run the same speakers on a HK AVR254 rated at 8ohms. never had any issues even long with durations of LOUD.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"